Greetings from Huntington, WV

JustClick

Hello everyone! I've enjoyed lurking in this forum for a while and it has helped me raise what I would consider a healthy and good looking sulcata in West Virginia. I thought I'd join and find a way to get involved in the tortoise community.

This is Crush(original, I know). We've had him since he was a hatchling and he's now 5.5. I'm still not sure on the sex but I'd imagine male since he seems pretty large for his age.

Right now he's 18-19" straight length and every bit of 40+ lbs.(I'm not sure, I've never weighed him, been meaning to take him to the vet to find out.) This picture is from over the summer so he was slightly smaller.

I will say that the pyramiding debates interest me as I think he's a pretty smooth tortoise, especially given where he's been raised.

IMG_0541.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

He might be female judging from the small gular. But if you turn him over and let us see his tail and plastron, we can say for sure.

JustClick

Thank you! I will try to get a picture soon. That said, from my research I would have to agree with you on the sex. No concavity to speak of, short tail, and the shape of his/her shell around the tail is decidedly oval and not v-shaped. I just didn't think a female would be this size at this age.

Crush's sex doesn't matter to us, however, he/she is just a family pet. But it would be nice to know.

JustClick

Here's Crush's plastron picture for you folks to judge the sex. As of today he/she is 20". Thank you in advance. IMG_0905.JPGIMG_0906.JPG

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Hello and Welcome! That's a beautiful, healthy looking Sulcata! You've done a great job! My wife and I just got our first hatchling just over a week ago, s/he was 5 weeks old on Saturday!

JustClick

Thanks very much Stuart. Congrats on your new addition. I'm no expert, but I'd be happy to share with you anything I've learned(if you want it). I found the process of raising a hatchling to adult very rewarding. It's something I'm thinking about doing again. Probably with a different specie, maybe leopard.