Greetings from moist Olympia WA

MossCrossing

Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, Washington
It rains a lot here, so you can call me Moss :D

I am, currently, a wannabe tortoise owner. I've been caring for animals of all sorts (Coldblooded, warmblooded, with or without spinal columns) my entire life. I've been researching and longing for a tortoise-friend with which to share my veggies for a few years now, but I could never justify the space and dedication as a teenager living with my family. But now I'm on my own, going to college, about to move into an apartment with my girlfriend and hoping to adopt a Russian or Hermann's tort. :tort: (Adopting because I don't feel confident enough to start with a hatchlings as my first tort, and I've been refusing to buy one of the wild-caught adult Russians)
So I figured now was the time to stop lurking and introduce myself!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Moss welcome to the TFO from AZ . You came to the right place to reserch the subject of torts and don't rule out Pancakes ( not the food ) :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hi and welcome from Vancouver, Wa!
You can keep tortoises outside in our climate, at least part time. Hopefully you will get an apartment with a patio or balcony (morning/early afternoon sun exposure!). Getting natural sunlight is the very best thing you can do for your tortoise.

In any case, look at some of the UK tortoise sites. Study their enclosures. In the Pacific NW, we have a climate and weather similar to theirs.
It doesn't do any good to look at tortoise keeping in California or the Southern parts of the US.

From what I can tell, an Eastern Hermanns is most tolerant of this weather.
Several of us have Russians, because they are spunky, and more available. They can work too, and you can usually find one that needs to be adopted on Craigslist.

Last edited:

MossCrossing

Olympia, Washington
Glad to know there are other Pacific Northwesterners on here Lynnedit

I will have a deck, it'll be super tiny but should be big enough to make a little pen just big enough for a little tort to bask on nice days. Even better, while I won't have a yard I will be living right next to campus, and my college is a zero-pesticide area with a big field of grass and dandelions which I'm sure a tort would love to explore every once in awhile.(on warm days and with constant supervision of course)

Researching some of the UK keepers definitely gave me hope for a lot of outdoor setups I didn't think we could have in the NW! I could definitely see myself building a big coldframe or greenhouse full of tortoises one day :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Moss and Welcome. Good to have you here. We have so many member that are from WA. You never along here.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Moss, and welcome to the Forum!