Greetings from Semarang, Indonesia!

fernando7kose

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi TFO!

I just noticed that I haven't posted here. I'm sorry if it's a bit too late.

My name is Fernando. I'm from Semarang, Indonesia.
I'm grateful that I've found this community, all the members in this forum have helped me tremendously. Thank you so much for all the help so far!

It all started by buying a baby Sulcata 3 months ago, without knowing all the right care information. After I found this forum, I tried my best to follow all the care sheets. Unfortunately he passed away due to Austwickia, he was already sick the day I got him. He was missing some nails, his skin was peeling.

I just brought home a Burmese Star, he is around 4". Hopefully this time I will be able to provide the best husbandry for my tortoise. Please give me any suggestion & help me point out things that I should improve. Thank you so much 😀.

Here are some of the pictures!
20221031_142706.jpg20221101_084239.jpg
20221024_104037.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry about the loss of the baby sully.
I hope you took precautions before bringing the beautiful star home?
I'm not sure what should have been done, but @mastershake may know things you should have done or can still do to be sure the austwickia is not still lingering.

fernando7kose

Indonesia
So sorry about the loss of the baby sully.
I hope you took precautions before bringing the beautiful star home?
I'm not sure what should have been done, but @mastershake may know things you should have done or can still do to be sure the austwickia is not still lingering.
Thank you for helping me throughout the identification of the disease.
I already threw away all the equipments & enclosure that I used for the baby sully.
It's been 3 month & I think my garden should be sanitized enough by the sunlight.
I also cut away all the long grass & weeds 3 times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for helping me throughout the identification of the disease.
I already threw away all the equipments & enclosure that I used for the baby sully.
It's been 3 month & I think my garden should be sanitized enough by the sunlight.
I also cut away all the long grass & weeds 3 times.
Sounds great.
Good luck with this one, I'm sure all will go well. He's a beauty.
Keep us post and we always love pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Fernando! What an eye-pleasing area you've made for your tortoises!

fernando7kose

Indonesia
All the best with the new one!
Thank you!

Welcome to the Forum, Fernando! What an eye-pleasing area you've made for your tortoises!
Thank you, I had a lot of fun making his enclosure!

Hi Yvonne, I have a few questions. I read in of your replies that it's normal for tortoise to have wet nose due to stress because it needs time to adjust to its new environment.

It's been 1 week since I brought home my Star.
I noticed that he still has occassional wet nose.

He's gained 15 grams since I got him (315g to 330g). He eats & poops daily, I soak him every morning.

I also have made some adjustments :
1. I set up a CHE to maintain the night temperature to minimum 85 F.

2. I put a cover on the enclosure to regulate the temperature better. Ambient temperature used to be around 85F during the day, it's now around 90 F. Basking temp is around 97 F, cool side 85 F.

Should I be worried? Is there anything that I should do?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, here are some pictures!
20221111_114552.jpg20221111_101053.jpg20221111_102113.jpg

fernando7kose

Indonesia
Hi TFO,
It's been almost a month since I brought my star home.
He still has occasional wet nose, especially in the morning after I take him out from his indoor enclosure.
He also has occasional clicking sound while breathing.

I would say that he is eating normally, I soak him every morning with warm water & he always poops.
This morning I took him to a vet, they did some X-Ray & his lungs seem to be pretty clear.
The vet prescribed me with some antibiotics but I'm still not sure whether I want to do the medication or not.

Please let me know if you you have any suggestion, should I be worried?

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 10.07.07 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 10.42.50 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 10.48.00 AM.jpeg20221125_104927.jpg