Greetings from Upstate NY ?

minimoo

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
Hi All! I've been lurking for months, binging on all the info I could on tortoises that might thrive in my care, and enjoying the banter. However, along the way, I seem to have added a few more species to The List...at any rate, I'm hopefully going to be adding my first tortoise in a few weeks - a Dalmatian from a highly recommended breeder on this forum. The hive mind here has been amazing, so thank you everyone for your questions, breadth of knowledge and informed opinions. I'm already planning on how I can reconfigure my house and yard to fit species #2 and #3...

I live up in the Taconics, where NY, MA + VT all meet, and share my life with:
11 dogs (2 border collies, a koolie, a saluki, a saluki/borzoi mix, 2 borzoi, 2 malamute/husky mixes and 1 foster borzoi who weighs more than I do)
3 species of day geckos (p. grandis, p. klemmeri and l. williamsi)
1 ball python (BEL morph)
and a whole mess of fish and orchids

I thought I was done building my own little paradise, but then I started learning about tortoises...so here I am.

Looking forward to learning more and reading all of the tortoisey antics and adventures!

Best,
Emily

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Wow that's a lot of dogs. I bet they keep you busy and very happy.
The slow pace of a tortoise will be a big change for you lol.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome!

I used to live up in the Adirondacks, but more recently moved to just outside of Keene, NH, where I live with Olive the rescue Pit-brador, seven tortoises of various flavors, and a bunch of goldfish who are hard at work growing herbs for me and plants for the torts.

Jamie

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just a reminder that tortoises biggest predator is the family dog. Dogs are not mean, they just play with them and chew them. You are in for a hard time...any tortoise will need extra protection...in the house...a tort table way up off the floor...outside good strong fencing...tortoises and dogs do not mix...period

minimoo

Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
Just a reminder that tortoises biggest predator is the family dog. Dogs are not mean, they just play with them and chew them. You are in for a hard time...any tortoise will need extra protection...in the house...a tort table way up off the floor...outside good strong fencing...tortoises and dogs do not mix...period
Absolutely and thank you! The reptile room is inaccessible to the dogs for this very reason, and part of the reason I am not looking for larger sized torts is because the outdoor tortoise pens will need to be outside of the dog yard. And yes, the outdoor pens will be covered/latched due to all of the other predators up in them thar hills!