Greetings

Shponglized

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hey all, I bought a baby Russian Tortoise about a week ago and wasn't too happy with a vivarium set up. Just complete my tortoise table so thought I'd sign up to the forums as I was inspired by someone else's build on here. Built from scratch (coffee table for base), everything else is my work. Enjoy!

imag0558-jpg.149488
imag0559-jpg.149489
imag0560-jpg.149491

And here's the little dude I did the work for, Toby :

imag0551-jpg.149494
imag0555_burst007-jpg.149493

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to tortoise forum to you and your lovely little one.
It all looks rather dry to me.
What are you using for substrate?
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
and because sometimes a vivarium is easier to enclose than a table http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
And white bits in the substrate can encourage the tortoise to eat it, which can cause problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Nice enclosure.

Shponglized

London
Thanks for this info.

These photos were taken right after I'd finish getting everything in the table, took the opportunity while everything looked neat before he did his own redecorating. I have been regularly misting the substrate once the Tortoise is in there. I am using number of substrates at the moment as he seems to respond differently to each one so I'm just getting a feel for what he prefers. At the moment I am using a fine layer (1cm) of soil/loam mix just in the basking area. I introduced him to this slowly and made sure he wasn't eating it and he is not interested at all. He has a hide under this with a plastic container of moist coconut substrate. The rest is a mix of hemp and wood chips. Which really seems to be where he spends most of his time. I am waiting for some more coconut substrate to dry a bit after soaking it (came in brick form), so I will mix this in with the hemp and wood chips.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for this info.

These photos were taken right after I'd finish getting everything in the table, took the opportunity while everything looked neat before he did his own redecorating. I have been regularly misting the substrate once the Tortoise is in there. I am using number of substrates at the moment as he seems to respond differently to each one so I'm just getting a feel for what he prefers. At the moment I am using a fine layer (1cm) of soil/loam mix just in the basking area. I introduced him to this slowly and made sure he wasn't eating it and he is not interested at all. He has a hide under this with a plastic container of moist coconut substrate. The rest is a mix of hemp and wood chips. Which really seems to be where he spends most of his time. I am waiting for some more coconut substrate to dry a bit after soaking it (came in brick form), so I will mix this in with the hemp and wood chips.
Sounds okay, but wood chips don't hold humidity well.
Your coco coir is great, soil/ loam ok if it's herbicide, pesticide clear(which I'm sure yours is, but these two would be all you need, in my opinion.
Mix the water into the substrate with your hands, with an open enclosure, spraying will not give enough humidity.
A cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer , big enough to soak in is great, too, less hazardous for flipping than those higher sided things.

Shponglized

London
The wood chips are only about 1/6th of the total area he has to roam. The soil/loam mix is a bagged tortoise substrate I ordered online. I will mix the coco coir with some of the hemp, and also have a pure coco coir area (with his hide). I do have a small water tray close to his hide too, I may take your advice and replace it with a terracotta saucer. I give him a good 20-30min soak each morning once he's awake and warmed, making sure I change the the water as soon as he fouls it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The wood chips are only about 1/6th of the total area he has to roam. The soil/loam mix is a bagged tortoise substrate I ordered online. I will mix the coco coir with some of the hemp, and also have a pure coco coir area (with his hide). I do have a small water tray close to his hide too, I may take your advice and replace it with a terracotta saucer. I give him a good 20-30min soak each morning once he's awake and warmed, making sure I change the the water as soon as he fouls it.
In England they like to sell that mix with the white bits of calcium or whatever in it .be careful the eating doesn't start.

Shponglized

London
In England they like to sell that mix with the white bits of calcium or whatever in it .be careful the eating doesn't start.

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for it. He doesn't seem to like spending too much time on it, usually going for a bask then moving on to softer pastures.

Shponglized

London
Here's an update of my table. Still yet to get a terracotta saucer but the shallow plastic one will do for a day or so more. He's not going in there as far as I know, although he's getting a good soaking every day anyway. I think he is still getting use to the soil and coir, only seems to want to dig in the chips or hemp, so I've removed most of it or mixed with other substrates.

IMAG0561.jpg
IMAG0562.jpg
IMAG0563.jpg