Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackryan13

5 Year Member
Hello everybody!

Been visiting this forum past few weeks generally expanding my knowledge on torts (especially russian horsfields).

My girlfriend recently was given a tortoise for xmas also was her stepbrother who doesn't live with her. Two adorable russian horsfields Tilly & Eliza.

They're pretty sure on genders (i'm still unsure about Eliza) however we do not know their age. They began living in the same enclosure however Eliza was constantly nipping Tilly and had once been seen in a mounting position of dominace over her. Because of the constant nipping we've split them up and Tilly lives upstairs in my girlfriends room.

I've become absolutely amazed with torts and want to learn more about them and also about the two we have here :)

I don't have a picture of Eliza however Tilly is a major poser and I have plenty of her with her living in my girlfriends room.

Anyway here's a picture of Tilly :D

DSC_0836.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Nice looking tortoise! May I make a suggestion? I see you have it on a pelleted type substrate, my advise is to go with another kind of substrate. Reasons being the pellets don't give really good footing to the tortoise and second once they get wet they tend to mold. :tort:

jackryan13

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Nice looking tortoise! May I make a suggestion? I see you have it on a pelleted type substrate, my advise is to go with another kind of substrate. Reasons being the pellets don't give really good footing to the tortoise and second once they get wet they tend to mold. :tort:

Thanks for the advice :) what sort of substrate would you advise? We have noticed Tilly tends to be abit slower when walking on the pellets.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I actually like the coir bricks with no more then 20% playsand. At those amounts, a healthy tortoise that is properly hydrated should not get impaction. Some folks prefer plain coir, some chemical free soil, some soil mixed with coir, mulch, ect, some like mulch alone. A lot will also depend on what you have the ability to get.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, jackryan13!

Status
Not open for further replies.