Gritty Urates.. is it my fault?

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
Sorry in advance for the length!

I've had my baby Russian tortoise for about a month (he's about 6 months old), and for the past few days he's been passing fairly gritty urates. And today, he seemed to strain for a few minutes before passing a pretty large chunk of gritty ones. Afterwards though, he ran around like nothing happened haha.

I feel awful, but like many, even after a ton of research, I was misinformed and kept him in an open-topped table with fairly dry substrate for the first couple weeks that I had him.

I know the breeder kept him in a "wet" environment, because I called him a while ago when my little one seemed too sleepy. The breeder told me to raise his temps and humidity, which I've since done. His humidity is now in the 60-75% range, and I soak him 20 min a day every day.

I know a tort's metabolism is slow, and it's been about a week that he's been living with the optimal humidity conditions, so could the grittiness be from keeping him too dry when I first got him? Do you guys think he will balance out? Or should I soak him longer/more often? Or are there any other suggestions?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help! I'm new to this and this forum has been so helpful!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it's your fault terrible you. JUST KIDDING.
I think you answered your own question. Probably the last few gritty ones. Soak every day for 20-30 minutes until he's around 2-3 years old. Then it can be cut back. The gritty is from being dehydrated so keep him hydrated with water available, high humidity, soaking and fit a couple days add romaine or cucumber to his diet, it's filled with water.
A lot of us learned the right way after first learning the wrong way, so don't feel bad, your not alone.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Yes it's your fault terrible you. JUST KIDDING.
I think you answered your own question. Probably the last few gritty ones. Soak every day for 20-30 minutes until he's around 2-3 years old. Then it can be cut back. The gritty is from being dehydrated so keep him hydrated with water available, high humidity, soaking and fit a couple days add romaine or cucumber to his diet, it's filled with water.
A lot of us learned the right way after first learning the wrong way, so don't feel bad, your not alone.

Haha thank you! I just can't believe you can do so much research and STILL get it wrong! Tortoise keeping is not for the faint of heart to be sure!! But they're so cute it's worth it! I will increase his soaking time just to be safe... can't hurt right? And I'm sure he'll love a little cucumber treat!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yeah, most info out there is bad wrong info. Believe me I did tons of research, listened to the breeder and did it wrong until I found this forum.
When ever you need help just come to the forum and search or ask. We have tons of great members that will do everything they can too help.
The bumped up soaks won't hurt at all.
Oh, it does get easier, so hang in there. They are worth it.