Gritty Urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jette

5 Year Member
Hello all,
my name is Jette and I come from Germany (my English is not the best, sorry).

I have a male 28y old Russian Tortoise and worried about his urates, which are gritty. This has been started in June 09, therefore, I contacted a Vet and he gave me the advice to raise the water supply and to bath him.

As the tortoise doesn´t like to drink during bathing, I gave him cucumber and wet leaves and the urates became better. However, in the moment, when I stop this kind of feeding, the urates become gritty some days later again. He drops out a white poop nearly every day instead of every 2 or 3 days. The feces became soft now, I´m sure this is due to the cucumber, because the Vets didn´t find any parasites.

I don´t know, what I can do. The tortoise is active and shows a normal behaviour, but I´m afraid regarding kidney or other healthly problems.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Jette

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Jette,
Welcome to the forum :)

That is a lot of urates (once a day). What are you feeding for a diet?

Danny

Jette

5 Year Member
Hello Danny,
thank you for your prompt reply!

I feed him with different leafs, like dandelion, plantain, chickweed, yarrow and much more. Most of the time he lives outside in the garden.

You are right, the urates appear very often. In April, he was only in action, I suppose looking for a wife, and he didn´t eat so much (I think, therefore the water intake was less, too). However, in May/June he was very hungry. Because of the beginning aestivation, the food intake in July was normal until less.

Jette

M

Maggie Cummings

Of all the tortoise species I think that Russians hate to be soaked (bathed) the most. But it sounds to me like it's kinda necessary. Does he have access to a drinking pool in his garden? Have you tried just leaving a water dish where he can get to it?

Jette

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Of all the tortoise species I think that Russians hate to be soaked (bathed) the most. But it sounds to me like it's kinda necessary. Does he have access to a drinking pool in his garden? Have you tried just leaving a water dish where he can get to it?

Hello Maggie3fan,
He has a water dish, but I have never seen him drinking or bathing. In general, he avoids water, not only water dishes but also natural puddles. However, sometimes, he really enjoys a bath in warm water. At least during the first 5 - 10 minutes, he seems to be very relaxed. But he´s also not drinking during the bath.

Best regards,
Jette

Status
Not open for further replies.