Grow too fast

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
We had this radiated Tortoise for just about two months now.

He/she weights 530g at the time we received.
IMG_1628.JPG

we weighted him/her again today, it weight 836g.

IMG_1842.JPG

Two months, gain little over 300g.

We feed every other day. He grow from about 4.5 inch to about 5.5 inch now.

Is this too fast?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whether or not it is too fast depends on what you are feeding it, and how you are housing it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Tom said:
Whether or not it is too fast depends on what you are feeding it, and how you are housing it.

Hi Tom:

Thank you for your reply. We mainly feed him/her all kinds fresh dark greens, cactus(80%) etc, Mazuri Tortoise feed (10~20%). Plus some blend of Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, alfalfa Hay which I use a old juicer to pulverized into a fine power like mix and sprinkled on top of the greens.

We add Calcium power once a week.

If weather and temperature permits. we took him/her out in the sun, twice a day for 90 mins at a time. Now, it is under the ZOOMED T5 UVB tube light.

Thank you in advance again.

Sorry! I forget to show the housing. Bottom lower left enclosure are his, it is a 24 inchs deep X 48 inchs long X 20 inchs high enclosure. with two heating lamps, UVB light tube and humidifier to kept the humidity around 60~70%. we have hot area (95 degrees)and cold area (75 degrees).

IMG_1615.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With that food and care routine, I think his growth rate is just fine. I've never kept radiata, so I'm just educated guessing from what I know of other species. Keep that in mind when considering my opinion on the matter.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Tom said:
With that food and care routine, I think his growth rate is just fine. I've never kept radiata, so I'm just educated guessing from what I know of other species. Keep that in mind when considering my opinion on the matter.

Thank you again Tom.

if someone can provide a educated guess for me, you surely are more then qualify.

Do you know you are also very famous in Asia? Lots of your publication in this forum has been translated into different languages in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong , Thailand, and China. You need to consider intellectual property right soon. Hahahahaha!!!

Thanks again.

sonykurniawan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Re: RE: Grow too fast

bouaboua said:
Tom said:

Thank you again Tom.

if someone can provide a educated guess for me, you surely are more then qualify.

Do you know you are also very famous in Asia? Lots of your publication in this forum has been translated into different languages in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong , Thailand, and China. You need to consider intellectual property right soon. Hahahahaha!!!

Thanks again.

I second that too.. Tom is quite popular among my tortoise keeper friends too

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
In the Philippines , i promote Tom's close chamber technique they love they results

In the Philippines , i promote Tom's close chamber technique they love they results

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is quite a jump in weight. One thing to consider is growing too fast and the end result later down the line. My radiata grew slow. But I grew it slow, as I kept it in a natural environment as closely coordinated from where they come. One thing to consider too. Is the shape. When they grow fast they grow differently. Differently being shape, pyramiding, elongated shell a pose to round shell growth, and upward growth. Radiata naturally Dont start producing until 20 years. in captivity many keepers have produced viable eggs with specimens aging 10-12 years. I feel this to be an accelerated rate. But do we(hypothetical tortoise keepers "we") know the negative outcomes of accelerated growth and the detriment of life? I Dont know. I feel fast growth is not healthy. To me the animal is just surviving and thriving as well as it should be.

Just my opinion on things.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
tortadise said:
That is quite a jump in weight. One thing to consider is growing too fast and the end result later down the line. My radiata grew slow. But I grew it slow, as I kept it in a natural environment as closely coordinated from where they come. One thing to consider too. Is the shape. When they grow fast they grow differently. Differently being shape, pyramiding, elongated shell a pose to round shell growth, and upward growth. Radiata naturally Dont start producing until 20 years. in captivity many keepers have produced viable eggs with specimens aging 10-12 years. I feel this to be an accelerated rate. But do we(hypothetical tortoise keepers "we") know the negative outcomes of accelerated growth and the detriment of life? I Dont know. I feel fast growth is not healthy. To me the animal is just surviving and thriving as well as it should be.

Just my opinion on things.

Thank you Kelly for your reply. The concern of yours are also mine, but mt wife saw them (Radiated and Leopards) are walking around in the enclosure, her diagnoses is: they are hunger, and that they are looking for food.

I know watching them eat, gave her satisfaction as their keeper but I think she is feeding them too much or too often. I know we will never hunger them to death but may over feeding them to overweight and into sickness.

I need to talk to my wife.....................Honey! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The little one also grow from from a whopping 33g at July to 48 g couple days ago.

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

It gain 50% of his body weight but Hi did not grow longer in length.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
bouaboua said:
The little one also grow from from a whopping 33g at OCT to a 48 g couple days ago.

It gain 50% of his body weight but Hi did not grow longer in length.

We got the little one at Oct not July. It seems a long time but actually for only couple months. It was my mistake.

So the question still are: Are they grow too fast??