Growing and using African grass mix

Reggie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Wayne In
I bought african seed mix and clover seed from Tortoise Supply to supplement Reggie's diet. It is planted in a flower pot under a grow light and the african seed has sprouted an amazing 8 inches since I planted it 10 days ago! I'm not able to find much information about growing it. I did see an article that said to avoid feeding it to your tortoise after it has gone to seed. Can anyone share when I should cut it? Will it continue to grow again like lawn grass?

Thank you for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought african seed mix and clover seed from Tortoise Supply to supplement Reggie's diet. It is planted in a flower pot under a grow light and the african seed has sprouted an amazing 8 inches since I planted it 10 days ago! I'm not able to find much information about growing it. I did see an article that said to avoid feeding it to your tortoise after it has gone to seed. Can anyone share when I should cut it? Will it continue to grow again like lawn grass?

Thank you for your help!
Cut it any time. Cut it into appropriate lengths for the size of your tortoise. A baby tortoise doesn't need 8 inch grass blades and they can bind up in the intestine. I grab a handful, cut it near the base, and then cut it as many more times as I need into a bucket to mix with other foods.

It should continue to re-grow many times. You may eventually need to add fertilizer.

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
Thank you, Tom, for your fast reply. The next inevitable question- what is a safe fertilizer? I’m using Kellog organic soil that you recommended.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, Tom, for your fast reply. The next inevitable question- what is a safe fertilizer? I’m using Kellog organic soil that you recommended.
Any that don't have other chemicals like herbicides or pesticides. No "weed 'n feed" types. Just plain old fertilizer, but don't let the tortoise have direct access to the fertilizer product. It fine for tortoises to eat plants grown with fertilizers, but not fine for them to eat fertilizer. All plants need fertilizer. They can't live without it. The more you cut and your grass depletes the soil, the more fertilizer you'll have to add in to keep it going.