Growing cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ive read that you can break off a piece of prickly pear pads and plant it and it will grow. I have some pads and was thinking of trying to grow my own since my tort loves it so much. Does anyone know, is it that easy? Is there any special things I have to do for it to grow?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You need a well draining soil (about 3/4 sand and 1/4 humus), lay the pad flat on surface, water so pad absorbs water, and keep in full sun. THe pad will send down small white rootlets and you're on your way. Water about once a week and get out of the way. For more info google Opuntia.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i've wanted to do this too...
heres what greenbeam.com says:
"Propagation is simple, said Deena Altman, co-owner of Altman Specialty Plants in Vista, Calif. Twist off or cut foliage at the nodes and let them dry for two weeks to a month or more. Keep them upright because if laid flat they will curl. Miniature varieties need less time to dry and larger, fleshier varieties take longer.

After the wound develops a callus, the cutting can be treated with a rooting hormone or stuck directly into the rooting media. Use a very porous mix and stick plants shallowly -- around 1/2 inch. If stuck deeper, cuttings can rot. Water sparingly initially and as roots start to develop, increase irrigation."

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I bought some from ebay and stuck them in the ground. It took a while but I am getting new growth. I am going to move them outside in the spring because they can tolerate freezing temps.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I should wait till spring comes so it can get the sun light. I think I'm going to try it though. Never know till you try!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I've started Opuntia cactus many times. I have tried both ways to start them as stated above and both have worked. They are really a hearty plant and really pretty easy to start and to grow.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Yep, they grow well. Let the cut callous over before planting, stick in the ground with support and wait.. I even had fruit and flowers the first few months.
I have a median about 20 feet wide, grass is growing there.. so that is where I planted it.. its growing 'wild' if anyone asks...
I see it everywhere. Does well. It freezes here too, but not a deep freeze.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I just found out that there is a variety that is cold tolerant and can handle WI winters...WooT! WooT!...you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be shopping for some this spring....
With all this snow and bitter cold weve been having ...I am more than ready for spring!!!!:cool:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Dee, What specie are they?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Iluvemturts said:
With all this snow and bitter cold weve been having ...I am more than ready for spring!!!!:cool:

I HEAR YA, LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I will have to see if I can find the receipt. If it is any help, they have a yellow flower.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Here's a site for identifing prickly pears and where they will grow.www. plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=OPUNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.