Growing in a grow tent

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I live in low desert, where in summer it is routinely 115° to 120°. We have multiple days of 120° to 123°, and this past summer I saw 126° at my house for the first time. We get no rain in summer at all. And now and then we get dust storms with high winds.

I have finally given up on growing anything. Between the heat and burning sun, anything I plant does OK for a while in spring. Then the heat comes, and the plants just wither and die.

So, I have ordered a 4'x3' grow tent. I have no idea where to begin when it gets here. I don't even know how to set it up or what all I need to use it.

Has anyone ever used a grow tent? I want to grow food for my tortoise primarily, including some edible flowers.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks for this post Karen! I will be watching it! I’ve been thinking of the grow tent....

I feel your pain, I live in Vegas. I thought I had it bad.... but we only get to 115-119, but with killer winds and virtually no humidity. I have been successful with squash, watermelon (I actually have 2 watermelons on the vine right now! Weird for December 1st, that plant already produced 3 good watermelon and I planted it in April) and pumpkin; all grasses; petunias, echinacea, basil; Rainbow Chard, Arugula, purslane; and of course cactus and aloe. Everything else doesn’t germinate or blows over/burns and dies. Hoping to grow Rose of Sharon this spring, I have heard on this forum that it can take full sun. I asked around because I was finding that the plants that say they can take full sun do NOT apply to in Las Vegas May to September!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I asked around because I was finding that the plants that say they can take full sun do NOT apply to in Las Vegas May to September!!

Yes! I've found the same thing to be true! I've tried 3 years to grow grape vines. They do well, look great, I even had a grape begin to form. Then July hits, and even if I shade them some, they go brown and die. I tried growing them indoors all winter, before putting them out in spring. They died. Nothing works. It's especially frustrating because we have some vineyards near by. My only other option to try would be a different grape.

You've been quite successful! You've grown a lot! This is going to be an adventure for me, since I don't know anything about regular gardening. I have the original black thumb. This is my last hope.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I finally found the other website that i wanted to send to you. All kinds of things ...soil, nutrients, lighting, etc

Thank you, Mark! I'm looking forward to digging deep into that site.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
@KarenSoCal Just wanted to show you what I'm growing in the tent just for now ? its in the tent that I took the pics of. Its plantain weed ? hopefully it'll go well. Ive never grown plantain before
20201210_174837.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
@KarenSoCal Just wanted to show you what I'm growing in the tent just for now ? its in the tent that I took the pics of. Its plantain weed ? hopefully it'll go well. Ive never grown plantain before
View attachment 312757
If you can grow plantain weed then you can grow anything else! It is a pain to grow