growing my own russian tortoise food

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtsandtortsgirl

5 Year Member
I was wondering what foods can i grow then dry for the winter for my russian tortoise? I have read that the food with lose some nutritional value but i was looking for different leaves and flowers i can dry. or even just flowers, shrubs different plants i can grow for my tortoise?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any plant or flower you can feed fresh you can dry for them. What I dried this year include: mulberry leaves, grape leaves, dandelion, plantain, clover, hibiscus leaves and blooms, Althea (Rose of Sharon) leaves and blooms, rose blooms, just for starters. The list for what they can eat just goes on and on. Sometimes it's just easier to say what you have growing and look those plants up then to think of all the possible plants there are out there and give those lists.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
What do you mean by drying them? I grow most of my own food and feed it fresh, but I'm very interested in this drying you are referring to..

turtsandtortsgirl

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
What do you mean by drying them? I grow most of my own food and feed it fresh, but I'm very interested in this drying you are referring to..

You take things like grape leaves roses things like that and you dry them but either laying them out or putting them in a dehydrator so durning the winter your tortoises can have there favorite things you should still give them there fresh greens but you could sprinkle the dehydrated stuff on the top but drying then does take some of the nutritional value out

Status
Not open for further replies.