Growing Rose of Sharron (RoS)

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hi,

Does anyone have experience propagating RoS cuttings? I’m reading mixed information in regards to soil vs water, time of year, length of cutting, seed vs cutting, etc .. and would love some advice.

Background, we’ve got two very large RoS already in our backyard, which are quite the treat this time of year! Thus, I can easily get cuttings from either, but am against replanting the entire RoS as a whole.

Apologies if this should’ve been in the diet/food or enclosure sections .. I wasn’t sure

Thanks,

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
You are thinking about it all wrong...There should be volunteer starts under and around the tree...make your spot where you want the tree and dig up a small one carefully and transplant them...easy peasy...Here's lunch...100_3265.JPG

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Cultivated varieties are often sterile and won’t set seed. One option is to stick a shovel in the ground a few times and sever some roots, pull the end of the cut roots above ground and often they will sprout new plants. Then you can dig them up and transplant them.

Cuttings can be started in loose potting soil or sand as long as it’s not allowed to dry out. But, cuttings will take varying lengths of time to sprout roots depending on when they were taken off the plant. Take a cutting like 6” long or so, with several buds, from a new branch that is smaller in diameter than a pencil (preferably when the stem is hard but still green). Remove all but one small leaf, cut the bottom end cleanly at an angle and dip it in rooting hormone powder before planting. It also helps to put the potted cutting in a place that is warm and near 100% humidity.