growing slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
From what I'm reading my sully tort is very undersized. He is one year old and is a little more than 3 inches straight line length. Temps are fine he has humid hide and gets daily soaks. I feed him grass and weeds from my yard he also gets some store bought greens and calcium from cuttlebone he chews on in his cage. He is kept in a 6ft by 3 ft tort table with uvb bulb. He also gets outdoor time when I can almost daily. Any suggestions on speeding up his growth? Or is this somewhat normal? When do they normaly go thru growth spurts? He seems healthy and is very active. Also I feed him as much as he will eat everyday. I'm worried that something is wrong cuz of his slow growth.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I adopted a young 3" tortoise about 4 years ago. I kept her inside on a table for 2 years. She grew steadily. Then I put her outside and discovered mazuri pellets also that she loved cuttlebone. She is now over 60 lbs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What does he weigh?

Mazuri will often help a slow grower pick up the pace, and it also ensures that the tortoise is getting adequate and balanced nutrition.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have 2 from one clutch that are growing at a moderate pace, and 3 from another that are growing very slowly. They are fed, soaked, and kept exactly the same way.

As long as your tortoise is active, has a nice hard shell, is receiving proper nutrition and proper hydration, I wouldn't be too concerned about him being "undersized."

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
The whole size thing is a bit over-rated. As others have said "just make sure its a happy healthy :tort: ". The only thing you get from having a fast growing sulcata is the headache of building bigger enclosures, buying/growing/stealing more food, etc. I would enjoy having a smaller tort for longer if I could do it all over again (I probably will).

Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't worry, all of mine are slow growers apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.