Growing Testudo Seed Mix in the Enclosure!

turtlebean

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hi all!

About a month ago I started growing some Testudo Seed Mix, that I purchased from TortoiseSupply, in a container by a window. I watered it pretty regularly (when I didn’t forget to lol) and it got constant sunlight. It did so well! This was it at the end of March, probably a week or so after I started growing. 7027659F-A86B-4FE9-999E-2917C2751D8F.jpeg

I started mixing it inside Tortillini’s food everyday. I’m trying to wean him little by little off grocery greens and onto only things i’m growing but he’s definitley a tough crowd.

Like three days ago I was dead bored (quarantine) and wondered what would happen if I just put those same seeds inside the enclosure! It doesn’t get nearly as much sunlight as the weeds in my other planter get and the substrate in the enclosure is coco not some soil mix I found at home depot. But I was like what the heck why not. So I sprinkled some seeds and a couple days later I saw some little things poking out. This is how the window situation is near the enclosure and I planted the seeds on the wall of the enclosure furthest from the actual wall 917046E5-4F9C-4AAE-BEBC-A2166B9B8F40.jpeg

Here I am, an undetermined number of days later, (all the quarantine days blend together lol) after I saw little sprouts coming out and look how much they’ve grown!

CBDBEE6E-FADF-4AF2-96BB-CE4EA01DC601.jpeg
I’m not really super worried about Tortillini rummaging through and stomping them out, he seems to be a respectful little guy. so far.. And he also isn’t extremely fond of these weeds yet so I don’t think he’ll eat them all in one shot either, at least not yet. I’ve been cutting up the weeds I have already grown and mixing them into his daily food, or else he won’t touch them!

Anyways, that’s my progress. I’ll let you guys know if Tortillini decides to go all godzilla on my newfound enclosure garden or if it keeps growing.

Happy Quarantining-
Julia R

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I planted some in flats today going to give it a try under lights in my tortoise room seeing your progress gives me hope for my attempt

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Anyways, that’s my progress. I’ll let you guys know if Tortillini decides to go all godzilla on my newfound enclosure garden or if it keeps growing

Good for you! You took a risk and it is working out for you. That's how great things are accomplished!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
20200428_105700.jpg
I did the same thing! You can kinda of see some of them here starting by his bowl.
2CAA8E954DFB_1588261425277.png
Here is a shot that shows some of it now. He stomps around and sometimes will pause and grab a quick snack lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It will only grow for about 2 weeks in my enclosure then it all dies off. I just continually plant it from time to time.