GROWING TORT FOOD INDOORS

yaycolin

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi everyone, just wanted to share a little project I am working on. I am attempting to grow some tortoise food indoors using a LED grow light. I don't have access to a yard or patio that receives sunlight, so this is the best way for me to be able to provide a varied diet.
The light is 300w and is capable of covering a 2x4 zone. I am starting out with a large pot of assorted grasses, a large pot of assorted weeds, and some hibiscus and hollyhock in the red cups. If they end up growing good, then I will plant more to take advantage of the full light. Please, post any suggestions or comments! I am looking forward to seeing how this will work out in the long run.

Attachments

• GRASS.jpg
    GRASS.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
  • GRASS2.jpg
    GRASS2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 27

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
That’s great! I have tried outside but haven’t even had one full grown one. It’s hard I’m new to this plant stuff, I do enjoy but failure almost makes me want to quit.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
That’s great! I have tried outside but haven’t even had one full grown one. It’s hard I’m new to this plant stuff, I do enjoy but failure almost makes me want to quit.
I am new to the "gardening" lifestyle as well. It is a lot harder than it looks. My green thumb has recently grown strong though and I am really enjoying researching plants and different practices. It sounds weird, but I love getting home and checking on the plants to see how they are doing. It's crazy how fast they actually grow in a day; although, it is hard to tell when just staring at them.

It may be challenging but I wouldn't give up. Practice makes perfect, and without those failures the end result wouldn't be as rewarding.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
This morning I noticed some new growth. They appear to be Parasola Plicatilis mushrooms. They seem to be turning the surrounding clovers black as well.
Does anyone have any experience with these? I am going to assume they are toxic to tortoises and that I should throw out all of the grass/plants that these mushrooms have grown in?

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 12
  • grass (2).jpg
    grass (2).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11