Growing turtle food without having it spread? Don't want grasses and weeds taking over the yard

taymag

Location (City and/or State)
FL
I ordered Dry-Climate Browsing Mix from turtle supply but I have a few questions.. I am looking for plants, bushes, grasses that will not spread since I grow them in a raised garden cut off from the yard. I know many grasses/weeds spread just by wind taking the spores even if they're 50' away, but most "bushes" I've ever seen don't spread even though a seed here or there will get in the grass just like any other plant. I just dont want something I plant spreading like a wildfire in my main "grass" that has taken a lot of effort to perfect and get weed free.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How large is your raised bed? You could surround the entire flower/weed bed with hibiscus and/or Rose of Sharon bushes and use them as a natural barrier, as well as a source of food. Leaves and flowers. Both are easily pruned to a height you like and appropriate for your more formal garden. Inside the bed...your weeds, flowers, some opuntia, etc that can be sown and easily harvested.

Hope this helps..

This time of year...I’m very envious of your Florida temperatures and sunshine.

taymag

FL
Ya its crazy looking at people in -40.. I just got back from a run in a 75 degree breeze :) lol

The raised bed is 2x6, but i am willing to build anything really, still deciding.

I am actually thinking of just things like Rose of Sharon bushes, hibiscus, cactus, etc. for now and skipping the grass/weeds, that's what I am asking in the post, more flower/bushes like this. I would just pick the leaves/flowers since they cant reach the top

For example, I'm not going to plant cactus and all the sudden my yard will be taken over by spreading cactus... If I plant Bermuda grass there is a chance that happens though

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would definitely plant a whole lot of hibiscus for sure. Was just down the Palm Coast area last week and they were all looking great. All kinds, doubles, etc. Our Sully loves both the flowers and leaves.

Good luck with your flower bed...