Growth lines, how pink is too pink?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Odin was getting his bi-monthly soak & scrub (with a soft toothbrush) that I use to check him for general health and anything unusual. He had some loose stools that had a bit of odor, which was kind of expected since he had a bit of grated pumpkin with breakfast and just had a very long soak.
My concern is that his plastron growth lines are pinker than I ever recall them being.
Other than that he looks good (at least to me) and is acting normally, but the pink has me concerned.
005.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG

By the way, he was not pleased with me holding him like this to take the picture. As soon as I did it he proceeded to take yet another loose turd right on my bathroom rug. Jerk. :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This happens periodically as they grow. I think it is the rich blood supply going to the new growth.

If he were living in filth (I know that he is not…) I would be concerned about bacterial growth, but this is not an issue with your large, properly heated, well maintained enclosure.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
This happens periodically as they grow. I think it is the rich blood supply going to the new growth.

If he were living in filth (I know that he is not…) I would be concerned about bacterial growth, but this is not an issue with your large, properly heated, well maintained enclosure.
Thank you! What a relief!
Of course I will continue to monitor it just in case, but that is a huge load off my mind. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That would be AWESOME!
Bigger tort=bigger turds=more compost=bigger plants=bigger tort! Best cycle ever!

So funny you said that! One of my projects for today is to dump a mountain of tortoise poo into the bottom of a new 30"x15' planter that I've made for composting and spring planting.

We are soooooo on the same page Gma!!!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
So funny you said that! One of my projects for today is to dump a mountain of tortoise poo into the bottom of a new 30"x15' planter that I've made for composting and spring planting.

We are soooooo on the same page Gma!!!
Just a couple weeks ago I decided to try my hand at indoor composting with all the poo and discarded food and plant clippings in his enclosure and around the house. So far so good! I expected more odor, but it just smells nice and earthy, and it seems to be decomposing nicely! Very exciting stuff!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
BTW, fun fact/Pro-tip: If you happen to be firmly but gently holding a young tortoise with your thumb on his shell and your fingers on his plastron and you feel an ever-so-slight clenching/bulging of his plastron, make sure his poop gun is pointed away from you.

o_O

After he pooped on my rug, I set the camera down and changed my grip on him, trying to get him over the sink, and he continued his bathroom redecorating....

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
BTW, fun fact/Pro-tip: If you happen to be firmly but gently holding a young tortoise with your thumb on his shell and your fingers on his plastron and you feel an ever-so-slight clenching/bulging of his plastron, make sure his poop gun is pointed away from you.

o_O

After he pooped on my rug, I set the camera down and changed my grip on him, trying to get him over the sink, and he continued his bathroom redecorating....
Poop gun? How very accurate. My Rowan sometimes warns me with a tail wag.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I was going to say - my guys usually wag their tails. In my iguana we called it the potty dance because he wagged his whole back end.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
It's still really pink. Should I be worried now?
BTW, he has had a pretty massive growth spurt this week, he looks visibly bigger even to me, and I see him every day. At this rate within a week or two I won't be able to safely hold him in this position. :eek:

008.JPG

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
One of my Leopards has huge pink growth lines right now that look just like Odin's. They don't seem to be an issue for my little monster. Must be like growing pains in humans :(

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
One of my Leopards has huge pink growth lines right now that look just like Odin's. They don't seem to be an issue for my little monster. Must be like growing pains in humans :(
Has yours had them before? How long do they stay this way?
I took another pic after his soak to get it in the same light and when he was a bit cleaner, I don't know that they have changed at all and it's been a week since I noticed them.
014.JPG

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Has yours had them before? How long do they stay this way?
I took another pic after his soak to get it in the same light and when he was a bit cleaner, I don't know that they have changed at all and it's been a week since I noticed them.
View attachment 160021
Mine guy has had his pink lines for about 2 weeks now, they were brighter in the beginning and are starting to fade now...here is photo I took yesterday morning:
IMG_3715.JPG

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It's still really pink. Should I be worried now?
BTW, he has had a pretty massive growth spurt this week, he looks visibly bigger even to me, and I see him every day. At this rate within a week or two I won't be able to safely hold him in this position. :eek:

View attachment 160000
It will eventually clear up. BTW, are you giving your tort calcium supplements? During this growth spur, I would sprinkle some in his food twice, or even three times a week.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Mine guy has had his pink lines for about 2 weeks now, they were brighter in the beginning and are starting to fade now...here is photo I took yesterday morning:
So I only have to freak out for another week or so? I can do that! :confused:
It will eventually clear up. BTW, are you giving your tort calcium supplements? During this growth spur, I would sprinkle some in his food twice, or even three times a week.
I have tried it, but he doesn't care for it, so I have been adding extra spinach and baby kale to his regular salads.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
So I only have to freak out for another week or so? I can do that! :confused:
I noticed that they diminished a lot after two weeks...but as you can see, they are still visible. My smaller one has them too, but they weren't as bright. His plastron is darker though and has more spots so they might just not be showing up as well.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I noticed that they diminished a lot after two weeks...but as you can see, they are still visible. My smaller one has them too, but they weren't as bright. His plastron is darker though and has more spots so they might just not be showing up as well.
(internet geekery and magic above ;))
I use a an old, soft toothbrush to give his undercarriage a gentle scrub once or twice a month to better spot anomalies, not that I am obsessed or anything.

(I am totally obsessed)