Growth of Toro, February 2016 Sulcata Tortoise. (Big File Size Alert!!)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ok. Some of this day he is 60 to 64. I think my goal is holding his weight not drop to 62 anymore. Hey you must grow TORO haha.
So yesterday i gave up, i gave him store bought veg, kale and mustard. In my thought, yes you can have it, but i will slowly slip some others leaves that is not your favourite to kale and mustard. Last night he ate both kale and mustard. Today he is eating mazuri LS with chop grass and grape leaves, he doesnt like grape leaves, weird.
I dont know about mustard, but i find kale actually have good nutrient composition for sulcata, well from now on, i will mix kale and mustard to his diet also.
Today my order seeds for him which is dandelion, geranium, violet, and mulberry is coming. Lets hope this seeds function well and the seller not mistaken the seeds.
Sadly, the original mazuri recommendation from @Speedy-1 's dad ended up out of stock in my country. So that "legendary food" will get postponed until next month.
Next month will have a new mazuri food. 2 months later, will have that seeds full of grass.
Hope this little one grow fast.
Ps. Yes, i am paranoia :D
Ok. This works or not. I am weighing toro almost everyday because the scale only beside toro's enclosure, i can't help my hand to place toro at there for 2 seconds lol. He never goes to 65g, even 64 is only sometimes. 3 days ago i gave new food. Today he is 66 g. For the first time!!! If this is keeping up, then i thinks i solve my own problem.

Ps. Toro does not like grape leaves, i just left the leaves and never offer it anymore or what?
Ps. I find toro does not like his food chopped, i think he likes to rip the leaves?!?!

Cross finger for all this!!! Hope the weight start to climbing and never goes down lol. Tomorrow will be his mazuri day.

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I've played around with chopping my torts food up nice and finely. Every time I do that though he refuses to touch it. I chop it up just enough to be able to mix it up well and that is it.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I've played around with chopping my torts food up nice and finely. Every time I do that though he refuses to touch it. I chop it up just enough to be able to mix it up well and that is it.
Toro ate it. It just he doesn't really like it. Yesterday morning i realized it. He really loves hibiscuss leaves, usually i chopped and mixed with everthing up. But yesterday, chopped hibiscuss only, should be his favourite, a pure one without mixing. and i compare it to today that i just give it without chopped. I can see the appetite different. I think i am learning toro more and more. He is unique in his own way.
This is the same with opuntia, chopped and mix opuntia, he never finished it. Just throw all of them without chopping, the appetite is better.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Now your learning , do whatever works best for Toro and you ! ;) Grape leaves are good for him , unless he wont eat them ! LOL :D I might hold them back and reintroduce them later , he may forget he doesn't like them ! :)

Franklin'sMom

I think my baby is growing like a weed! Guess you are what you eat haha :) I got him 11/14/15 and he was ~2mo
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469228583.445205.jpg

This is the most recent weight from 6/29/16

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469228704.865293.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469228761.672352.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member

Franklin'sMom

Idk if Franklin had a good start either but he definitely loves his food. Lol he's growing so fast that when he out grew his favorite hide and I took it out of his habitat the next day when I came home from work he had dung his mulch up everywhere! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469229961.607425.jpg
Had his moss strung all over! Haha He's over it now :)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Haahhhh... This little fella (Toro) make me happy. He usually only able to finish up 3 pellet of mazuri LS in a day. Today is his "mazuri + grass" day. 6 pellets gone. I'll give him another 4 again this night. 6.30 P.M now.
His highest record 67g (yohooo!!! The kale mustard trick works), this morning he is 65g.
Tomorrow will be his "hibiscus, pinto peanut, roselle, flowers, kale and mustard" mix day. No chop. He does not like it. :D

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ok. 2 days ago go down to 63gr. Weird. But today 68gr, beat the highest record again. I think we are good.
Just heard a friend's sulcata who is 5 years old died because she left the tort to her sister while abroad for a week. It is sad. Another friend, 10 months old sulcata, barely grow in his/her life, died today which i believe the vet need to be blame for this (giving too much injection)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Well today also 68gr. Holding the weight. Maybe 1 or 2 days ahead will be 70gr, his typical weight pattern. Several days ago i feels like toro slowly growing a growth line but i am not sure. Yesterday the plastron show the new growth line and i am super excited. Today after exhausted work, came back home and feeding toro. My exhausted lazy eyes caught something!! Yes!!! Growth line. My first growth line!! I mean toro's first with me lol. :D. Every first time is excited. The second and third one will be flat feeling haha.
Anyway here is dirty toro with his new line.
Enjoy... Zoom to see clearly.
20160803_191142-1.jpg

R

Rzm7810

Just Curious I see the line and with context clues I assuming that's growth right.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
That is great , maybe you can start weighing Toro once a week now ? :D :D Don't keep me in suspense , how did he like his new Mazuri ?
Haha oppsss!! Usually he eat mazuri LS 6-8pcs + mix grass in his mazuri day.
Yesterday it was 2 reg mazuri + 6 LS + mix grass. He did not finished it. I think it is too much lol. At night i did the test. Put reg mazuri and LS mazuri side by side. He seems to like both but have weird feeling towards regular one. I can feel he said "what is this? yummy but a bit weird."
But this regular mazuri put a tremendous weight. At morning he was 65gr. At night when finished all the routine. He is 71gr. Wow for the regular one.

I still can't help myself weighing him everyday or i can say weighing him when every soaks finish. :D:p