Growth of Toro, February 2016 Sulcata Tortoise. (Big File Size Alert!!)

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
One important thing is i don't feel disgusting towards his poops.

I saw this yesterday and thought about our conversation a few weeks ago.

Since you don't feel disgusted towards their poops can you please come over and pull Frank out of his bath for me. This is after five minutes of soaking. This is pretty much a daily occurrence.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I saw this yesterday and thought about our conversation a few weeks ago.

Since you don't feel disgusted towards their poops can you please come over and pull Frank out of his bath for me. This is after five minutes of soaking. This is pretty much a daily occurrence.
I read your posting and i laughed before i can finished it lol. Hey do they smell? I bet a little...
"Toro 10gr pop" looks alike but way thicker and i can't see the fibre, it all mix well with water :confused: but that is 30min soak.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
It smells, but it's not too bad... I have a house full of animals. Two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, two guinea pigs, a bearded dragon, and four tortoises. To me tortoise poop smells a little bad, but isn't as bad as any of the carnivores.

In all honesty between all the animals and a human baby in the house I'm actually a little desensitized to it all. Truth be told Frank does that every single soak and I never hesitate to reach in and pluck him out. I just make sure to wash well afterwards.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
It smells, but it's not too bad... I have a house full of animals. Two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, two guinea pigs, a bearded dragon, and four tortoises. To me tortoise poop smells a little bad, but isn't as bad as any of the carnivores.

In all honesty between all the animals and a human baby in the house I'm actually a little desensitized to it all. Truth be told Frank does that every single soak and I never hesitate to reach in and pluck him out. I just make sure to wash well afterwards.
I don't really know the meaning of desensitized. Yes i always wash my hand too, i don't want to leave any germ residue if Toro can carry it to others. Don't want anyone blaming the tort if anything happens ;).
Btw i am concerning my food supply already. Toro eat more and more, now he always impressed to the level of frightens me about the food supply, how he make food disappeared and i think that food is a bunch already. Grocery food is easy, but i think my plant can't keep up with him. Should buy several plants more. My plant can't grow, new leaves or bigger leaves always go inside Toro's mouth. Any idea about plant is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Taco*mom

Sorry, that last post was supposed to have this picture attached.
Yeeeewww. That's grossss. How old is Frank? Does all sulcata's poop at the same age looks like that? Taco's poop looks like toothpaste, but dark. And if I don't catch it early, it looks just like Fred has decribed.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
It comes out solid and looking normal, but then Frank kicks it around and stirs it in if I don't get to it right away. None of my other tortoises do this, just Frank. He is approximately five years old.

Taco*mom

I hope Taco doesn't like to play with his poo like Frank does :p But thanks for the heads-up.

Taco*mom

I don't really know the meaning of desensitized. Yes i always wash my hand too, i don't want to leave any germ residue if Toro can carry it to others. Don't want anyone blaming the tort if anything happens ;).
Btw i am concerning my food supply already. Toro eat more and more, now he always impressed to the level of frightens me about the food supply, how he make food disappeared and i think that food is a bunch already. Grocery food is easy, but i think my plant can't keep up with him. Should buy several plants more. My plant can't grow, new leaves or bigger leaves always go inside Toro's mouth. Any idea about plant is very much appreciated.
Desensitized means not as sensitive as it's used to. Like those people who work at the tire shops.. they all smirked when I hold my nose. They're like, "uuhm what smell?" Gosh I hate that smell.

Fred, instead of buying seeds, maybe try buying the small plant online from tokopedia. Like mulberry? Some call it murbei. None of the seeds I bought germinate. I just skim through a good online store last night. It has sooo much to choose from. We can harvest it faster rather than waiting for the seeds that will never germinate.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Like those people who work at the tire shops.. they all smirked when I hold my nose. They're like, "uuhm what smell?" Gosh I hate smell.
I moved out to farm country for a couple of years. Every spring the farmers would spread manure on their fields and I would walk around for a few days literally gagging at the smell. Everybody kept making fun of the fact it bothered me.

On the flip side I grew up in a town that had a factory that processed sugar beets into sugar, and it's known for being an excessively smelly process. We always smelt it, but if you grew up around it then it was just a smell that was there. Not good, not bad, it simply existed. My wife refused to move to my hometown partly because of the two months a year the factory would stink up the area. She said it was absolutely the worst thing she ever smelt.

I personally don't think tires smell that bad. It's funny how different smells and textures affect different people differently.

I also realize that I've managed to hijack Toro's thread with all this talk of poop. I apologize to Fredkas for that.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Desensitized means not as sensitive as it's used to. Like those people who work at the tire shops.. they all smirked when I hold my nose. They're like, "uuhm what smell?" Gosh I hate that smell.

Fred, instead of buying seeds, maybe try buying the small plant online from tokopedia. Like mulberry? Some call it murbei. None of the seeds I bought germinate. I just skim through a good online store last night. It has sooo much to choose from. We can harvest it faster rather than waiting for the seeds that will never germinate.
Thanks for the desensitized meaning ;)
Online rather hard i think. I'll buy from the local shop. I think i need 3 or 4 hibiscus plants, leave it to wash out the pesticides for several months. It should be just in time i think. But i'll checking out online shop too. A lot of plants i need and they are not selling here.
Same here, it is hard for them to grow. Several grow actually. In very slow pace.. Like sick tort walking:confused: :p:p. And i think that is not the plant i want, means the seeds is not supposed to be what it is. Gosh. But just wait until they grow bigger.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I moved out to farm country for a couple of years. Every spring the farmers would spread manure on their fields and I would walk around for a few days literally gagging at the smell. Everybody kept making fun of the fact it bothered me.

On the flip side I grew up in a town that had a factory that processed sugar beets into sugar, and it's known for being an excessively smelly process. We always smelt it, but if you grew up around it then it was just a smell that was there. Not good, not bad, it simply existed. My wife refused to move to my hometown partly because of the two months a year the factory would stink up the area. She said it was absolutely the worst thing she ever smelt.

I personally don't think tires smell that bad. It's funny how different smells and textures affect different people differently.

I also realize that I've managed to hijack Toro's thread with all this talk of poop. I apologize to Fredkas for that.
Nah this is the part of the thread. I am asking it above if you scroll it. You are on your path :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
What a subject !
apple%20ios%20poop.jpg
Ha ! Ha Ha !
t9411.gif

Taco*mom

Manure smells! Exactly! I wrote in another post that I was looking to buy a house but it was surrounded by dairy farms. Lemme tell you, I got back inside my car as soon as I can finish a polite conversation with the lady at the model house.

See? Don't worry about Fred. He's cool.

Taco*mom

Thanks for the desensitized meaning ;)
Online rather hard i think. I'll buy from the local shop. I think i need 3 or 4 hibiscus plants, leave it to wash out the pesticides for several months. It should be just in time i think. But i'll checking out online shop too. A lot of plants i need and they are not selling here.
Same here, it is hard for them to grow. Several grow actually. In very slow pace.. Like sick tort walking:confused: :p:p. And i think that is not the plant i want, means the seeds is not supposed to be what it is. Gosh. But just wait until they grow bigger.
If you can find some at local nurseries, that's acutally better. But here many of them don't have a lot of choices and they are on a street where parking is impossible. Plus they haggle too. So I'd rather go online.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Manure smells! Exactly! I wrote in another post that I was looking to buy a house but it was surrounded by dairy farms. Lemme tell you, I got back inside my car as soon as I can finish a polite conversation with the lady at the model house.

See? Don't worry about Fred. He's cool.
I'm an electrician, and I spent a week working on an active dairy farm barn once. That one barn housed 1000 cows. I spent a week working in literal ankle deep crap.

I remember being so grossed out at the end of the day that no matter how many times I washed I still felt gross.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Weekly update:
Toro eats hibiscus, rose, roselle, pinto peanut, mazuri "LS", regular mazuri, water spinach, collard greens, carrot, and grasses. Soon will be dandelion, geranium, violet (don't know when, the seed keep failing lol, somebody jump out teach me.)
1st day adopted : 31 May '16 - 57gr (the seller told me he should be around 3 months old.)

June : 09 Jun '16 - 62gr (i believed the gain was from the water, had slight pyramid from previous owner)

July :
20 Jul '16 - 64gr (start having big appetite after i gave him "water spinach treat" for the 1st time.)
30 Jul '16 - 68gr

August : ____________________ September : __________________ October : ____________________ November :
06 Aug '16 - 71gr____________ 07 Sept '16 - 091gr____________ 05 Oct '16 - __________________ 02 Nov '16 -
11 Aug '16 - 74gr____________ 14 Sept '16 - 096gr____________ 12 Oct '16 - __________________ 09 Nov '16 -
17 Aug '16 - 76gr____________ 21 Sept '16 - 105gr____________ 19 Oct '16 - __________________ 16 Nov '16 -
24 Aug '16 - 82gr____________ 28 Sept '16 - 116gr____________ 26 Oct '16 - __________________ 23 Nov '16 -
31 Aug '16 - 86gr_________________________________________________________________________ 30 Nov '16 -