Growth on nictitating membrane on red footed

xdelgado

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hi everyone! I have a rescued red footed tortoise, Happiness. I just discovered a growth in what I believe is her nictitating membrane. I hadn't been able to see her in a number of days and her other caretaker human tends to miss things, so I'm not sure when or how it appeared. Initially I thought it was something round stuck to her eyeball, but after flushing with saline solution, I could see it's not and that it moved as she blinks. I'm attaching a picture. She's never been to the vet and I'm wondering if this will warrant it. Have been calling vets who work with tortoises but none were available and it's the weekend, no available exotics vet in local emergencies.20200222_161901.jpgAnyone have any recommendations or experience with this? She's my first tortoise, no previous experience and have basically learned through the internet but never experienced health issues.

She's young still, physically growing, little over a foot long, lives outdoors in an enclosed open area with grass, dirt and places to burrow, in South Florida. These days have been humid with short rains almost every day.

xdelgado

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
A vet can remove it, but I'd try ointment and a stress free life first. It'sometimes caused by stress. Look for veterycin opthalmic ointment and apply it a couple times a day.
Thank you, Yvonne! I will try this out. Wondering about the source of stress, and given the cooler weather these past weeks, her burrow has been reinforced (changed), and she's been pulled out of it in the morning to make sure she eats. Which of course she resents. She really hates coming in the house, she would not move and stop eating so that's when we decided to keep her out, but making sure she stays warm. But lately her enclosure was expanded and the burrow changed, so the keeping her warm has required adaptation. So all this might be too much handling and stress for her, we will have to make sure to give her a more stable environment and routine.