Growth rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyRedfoot

5 Year Member
Back around may our redfoot Sally disappeared from her enclosure. We knew she hadn't dug her way out, and there were no openings to have escaped from! After a thorough search of the yard. The only logical answer was that someone had to have stolen her.
A week ago my wife's dog was at the door barking. I look outside to see turtle walking through the front yard. From where I was it looked like a Box. That was until I went outside for a better look, and realized it was WAY to big. 12-15 inches long and 10-12 inches wide. By 10 inches tall.
So now I'm left wondering could this be our Sally?
Sally had some pyramiding when we got her. This gal has some as well. But if this is her. It really cleared up! Sally had bright coloring. This one is fairly dark. The biggest difference is size. Sally was only 6x5! Could she have grown so much this fast?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It sounds like too much of a coincidence to think that you lost a redfoot and months later a redfoot just comes walking by your property. Are you sure this is a redfoot? Can we see a picture? By the same token, you've described a tortoise that is twice as big as the one you lost. I really doubt a tortoise, living free outside, would double in size in 7 months.

Welcome to the Forum!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
New and old photos would be of assistance.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Unless your measurements are wrong, there is no possible way it could be her...Even under the BEST possible conditions, a red foot doesn't go from 6 inches to 12 inches. 6 inches of growth in 7 months? Not possible, by any stretch of the imagination. And at 6 inches, with pyramiding, its unlikely it got better at all. Pyramiding is at least partially from dehydration...I doubt this red foot would have very good hydration out there alone.

Redfoots are popular pets...And commonly lost pets. A red foot that size was likely kept outside in someones yard, with free roam, and managed to escape. One of my best breeder females walked into the road in front of me one day....

Status
Not open for further replies.