Growth Rings in wild-caught Jordanian Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
My three new tortoises are wild-caught from Jordan, according to the importer. From what I read, they feed profusely in the late winter and spring, aestivate as soon as the vegetation dries completely in mid-July, become active again briefly in October through November with the first rains, and then hibernate til the first warm periods in February.
Here's an interesting article on T. graeca in Jordan.
http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Research/Testudo graeca.htm
So, it appears that primary growth would occur in the spring and early summer, with occasional small spurts possible in the fall. Further, any stressful period in the primary spring growth period would split that growth ring.

So, excluding years where no growth occured, how old would you believe these three are?

This one is 5.75 inches SCL, obviously still growing. I count 6 years, making this female a fall 2004 hatchling, if she grew steadily.
IMG_5048SB10-2.jpg

IMG_5048SB10-1.jpg

This one is 7 inches SCL, and still growing. I count 9, but perhaps as many as 11 rings, so maybe 2001 hatchling, but maybe as early as 1999.
IMG_5018SB10-2.jpg

IMG_5018SB10-1.jpg

This one is 7 inches SCL, and appears to be nearing or have reached adult size. I count 10 to 13 years of primary growth, followed by 3 to 5 years of slowing growth, which is still occuring. This tortoise might be as young as 10 or perhaps in her early 20's if she experienced some drought years in there.
IMG_5038SB10-2.jpg

IMG_5038SB10-1.jpg

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Looking at the first one I would say around 6/7 years old, the second one about 10/11 years old and the last one around the 13/14 mark, but you can never be a 100% with the rings as habitat,god etc etc has a lot to do with it.:D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
bikerchicspain said:
Looking at the first one I would say around 6/7 years old, the second one about 10/11 years old and the last one around the 13/14 mark, but you can never be a 100% with the rings as habitat,god etc etc has a lot to do with it.:D

When I said god, I meant food, I hate this IPAD:(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

When I said god, I meant food, I hate this IPAD:(

Well if you're a believer then god may have had something to do with it too! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.