Growth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
I track my Cherry's length and weight on a weekly basis. Right after his morning soak on Tuesdays. He's about 6 months old and after 3 weeks of measuring, hes gained 2.7 grams and grown .25 cm. Does this sound right about right? Too slow?
Thanks!

Drew

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because they all grow at their own pace, it's hard to say what is a right pace. As long as everything is going good, eating, pooping, etc and he gains weight and grows, then it's all good and normal.

abclements

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
Good way to estimate the growth of individual tortoises based on SCL and their current weight using the Donoghue formula:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38420.html#axzz2BT8ARcGh

I'll add, the Donoghue formula can be less accurate for hatchlings and small tortoises.

Ya I use that, but that really only gives you if his weight is right for his length. I just want to make sure he's growing at a good rate. Not too fast, not too slow.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
abclements said:
Redstrike said:
Good way to estimate the growth of individual tortoises based on SCL and their current weight using the Donoghue formula:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38420.html#axzz2BT8ARcGh

I'll add, the Donoghue formula can be less accurate for hatchlings and small tortoises.

Ya I use that, but that really only gives you if his weight is right for his length. I just want to make sure he's growing at a good rate. Not too fast, not too slow.

Is that not exactly what you are looking to accomplish? There is no direct measure for growth rates for individual tortoises due to differences in genetics, environmental parameters, food quality, etc. With so many parameters at play, I don't know how you could answer that question other than what I have provided above.

I weigh and measure my tortoises once/month. It's always the same day of the month and prior to feeding + soaking. This keeps my records tight and measurements more precise.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya I've just always read that you don't want to grow them too fast (pyramiding and such). I think I'm just being over protective if you know what I mean lol

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
abclements said:
Ya I've just always read that you don't want to grow them too fast (pyramiding and such). I think I'm just being over protective if you know what I mean lol

Totally get it ;). Many of us do the same thing. Remember to have fun!
So long as you aren't feeding Mazuri/Zoo Med FTD every day I don't think you'll see growth occurring too rapidly. I know some on here do this, not looking to start an argument or say your method is unsatisfactory, just going on personal experience. Mine lay down new growth every time they get it (~1/week).

I have one that grows like a weed while another just puts on fat. Don't over think things.

abclements

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
abclements said:

Totally get it ;). Many of us do the same thing. Remember to have fun!
So long as you aren't feeding Mazuri/Zoo Med FTD every day I don't think you'll see growth occurring too rapidly. I know some on here do this, not looking to start an argument or say your method is unsatisfactory, just going on personal experience. Mine lay down new growth every time they get it (~1/week).

I have one that grows like a weed while another just puts on fat. Don't over think things.

I feed him a rotation of Spring Mix (days 1, 2, 5, and 7), Fruit (days 3 and 6), Zoo Med FTD (day 4) and I trade a spring mix day with moist cat food every other week.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I feed him a rotation of Spring Mix (days 1, 2, 5, and 7), Fruit (days 3 and 6), Zoo Med FTD (day 4) and I trade a spring mix day with moist cat food every other week.

This is exactly what I've been doing except I've been playing around with the protein using eggs, tuna, and worms so far. They have all been growing good and smooth, although one is pretty far ahead of the other three. I'm not too worried about it as long as everything looks good.

abclements

5 Year Member
redfoot7 said:
This is exactly what I've been doing except I've been playing around with the protein using eggs, tuna, and worms so far. They have all been growing good and smooth, although one is pretty far ahead of the other three. I'm not too worried about it as long as everything looks good.

Perfect! I've been considering doing more buggy kinda protein stuff, but I just don't know how to get a bug or 2 every other week... Unless they last for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.