Guardian of 3 lovely Hermanns Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinsharkey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Helensburgh in Scotland
Hi Everyone, My name is Kevin and I live in Argyll & Bute area of Scotland. My wife & I are Guardian's of 3 lovely Hermanns torts. I say Guardian's because, even though we purchased them from a pet shop I don't believe that you own a life. While I am alive, I will care for and protect the torts and hope they have a good life, and will be passed down to the next generation to be Guardian of them, As I regard them more as family members and not pets. We have currently 2 males Titan (3 years) & also Tian (2 1/2 years) (meaning Heaven(s) in Chinese. We also have a female hermanns called Měilì (2 1/2 years )(meaning Beautiful in Mandarin) I find it easier pronouncing it Mylee. A Photograph of all 3 will be uploaded shortly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kevin:

Welcome to the Forum!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking shelled family. Do you house them together? If so, you may need to separate them. Two males will fight specially with a female around and if you don't have a very, very large enclosure, with lots of sight barriers and at least three hides, they will also pester the female to possible death and/or the two males fight to death or illness.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi, nice looking trio.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

kevinsharkey

5 Year Member
Helensburgh in Scotland
NUMBER 2.jpgNUMBER 3.jpgNUMBER 4.jpgTHEIR BEDROOM.jpgNUMBER 1.jpgThank you Wellington, I understand your comments, & I agree totally. I have thought about this matter and I have emailed a very nice guy and expert called Chris over at a lovely webpage called http://gardenstatetortoise.com about this very subject. I have been suggested to get at least 2 females to stop the single female being annoyed to death and to stop fighting. I am currently looking into getting a second ( and final hermanns " Female" asap). The 2 males get on together great and sleep together in the same section of their "bedroom" (tortoise table) and have never fought. I was told that my hand built tortoise table would be fine. It measures 4 feet by 3 feet and the side walls are 15 inchs high.. It has an upstairs and downstairs. Looking at the photos I have uploaded ( Before we moved them in) there is a storage area at one end that I intend to build a passage way between the upstairs section spanning across the length of the table to the soon to be opened extra area.. I will lose the storage area, But will gain extra floor space ( sleeping area).. :) The section under the slope has been opened up since building, & the 2 males love to sleep under the sloped area. The female gets placed into the upstairs section, But sneaks down the slope at night to sleep with the boys... aww. in the photos just after build, the lid in the upstairs section is off and the upstairs floor is in 2 sections (2 pieces of perspex) that can be lifted out separately for ease of cleaning and inspection. I have since moved the light mount to the side of the storage section, So as to be able to build the new sleeping area mentioned earlier. Tian, Titan & Měilì (maylee) spend a lot of time in my garden (when nice) that is currently being designed with them in mind. We do have a spare tortoise table just in case anything does happen :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinsharkey

5 Year Member
Helensburgh in Scotland
Hi Everyone, Thank you all very much for your warm welcomes... I forgot to mention that the side banister going up the side of the slope has been since been replaced with a much taller one that comes to the top of the table, Due to the fear that my lovely wee ones may try and climb over it.. Tiff3grl Skipper & Buddy look great.. I love Sulcata Tortoise's.. they grow HUGE.... wow. They remind me of Lonesome George in ways, and sad that he has passed away. And Pam, Wow... you have your hands full.. utmost respect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.