Guess what happened tonight [emoji4]

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
If you have followed my threads from the beginning about the eggs I rescued this year, you know there was a few snapper eggs that had been dug up by animals and they thankfully didn't get eaten, so glad I checked it out the debris.. I went to peak at them on my way to bed tonight, haven't checked on them as much because they incubate longer. By chance, I peaked in to see the cutest little snapper head peaking out of his egg [emoji3][emoji16][emoji2][emoji1][emoji4][emoji7] I really didn't think they stood a chance.. The crazy ways God works.. the eggs I thought had the best chance didn't hatch.. the ones I thought weren't viable hatched. Will be posting a picture of the little fella when he fully emerges.

Everybody have a wonderful weekend and be safe !

Lexi [emoji846]

PS: Any name suggestions for the little snapper ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What are you going to do with the babies once they've all hatched out? Are they native to your state?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
OMG!!!!!❤️❤️❤️
SOOOO happy for you!!!!!!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Yes they are native. The Same thing I did last time with the babies we raise them until there shell is about 3-4 inches and then we release them where the eggs were found. I only have one more snapper egg. Which I don't think looks to hot.
What are you going to do with the babies once they've all hatched out? Are they native to your state?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
OMG!!!!![emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]
SOOOO happy for you!!!!!!
Thank you Moozillion. I have to say it is the best feeling, seeing a head poke out of an egg that you thought had no chance. I love this whole rescue thing I have done the last few years. Every baby I've hatched has been released besides my little Elvis. The little snapper is almost out of his egg. I just moved him into a bowl with damp paper towels. He looks great so far!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Me and hubby have decided on a name for the time being. Elvis is going to be Albus (it sounds similar) and the new baby will be Aberforth) if you are a Harry Potter need you will see the reference [emoji3526] of course not housing then together. I learned last time to separate them. Tail nips and all that bullying..

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Okay little Aberforth is fully emerged now. He was very fast.. although I don't know when he initially pipped. Probably yesterday some point. I went to wipe dirt off his face so I could see him better, and he snapped. It didnt hurt of course but I had to laugh. It was so fricking cute [emoji7] he looks great. I will keep all updated over the next few days and pictures to come!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Okay little Aberforth is fully emerged now. He was very fast.. although I don't know when he initially pipped. Probably yesterday some point. I went to wipe dirt off his face so I could see him better, and he snapped. It didnt hurt of course but I had to laugh. It was so fricking cute [emoji7] he looks great. I will keep all updated over the next few days and pictures to come!
YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!
And he comes out a-SNAPPING!!!!:):<3::<3::<3:

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Okay so the final egg I have from the snapper nest pipped.... He is breathing and moving his head, but I believe his heart and intestines are outside of his body.. I can literally see his heart pumping ... I just set him in damp paper towels to see what happens .. also I noticed he broke one sac of his head and he is encased in another sac? Anybody know anything about that? I feel so bad.. I'm not sure if there is any chance he will survive. But he is breathing and he moves his head and his legs.. please pray for the little guy. Not sure what I would even be able to do to help if he did survive.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Okay so the final egg I have from the snapper nest pipped.... He is breathing and moving his head, but I believe his heart and intestines are outside of his body.. I can literally see his heart pumping ... I just set him in damp paper towels to see what happens .. also I noticed he broke one sac of his head and he is encased in another sac? Anybody know anything about that? I feel so bad.. I'm not sure if there is any chance he will survive. But he is breathing and he moves his head and his legs.. please pray for the little guy. Not sure what I would even be able to do to help if he did survive.
Oh, dear- this doesn't sound good.
The little guy may not have developed properly and there may not be anything you, or ANYONE can do for him.:(:<3:

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh, dear- this doesn't sound good.
The little guy may not have developed properly and there may not be anything you, or ANYONE can do for him.:(:<3:
No it isn't good.. I can barely look at him without wanting to cry.i have him in the incubator.. He is still alive. He is in a sac still. It was weird he popped one sac off his body and he's in another one.. hubby was thinking maybe it was a twin egg and it didnt grow right. I am just leaving him be keeping him moist but it makes me so sad to see him especially because I can't do anything in this situation.. he doesn't have a plastron he barely has a carapace but he has an egg tooth. So sad [emoji22]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I have no idea if he is suffering of not. I am so devastated.. I honestly don't know how he survived this long. He is inside a sac still I just left him be, he already broke a sac off his head and his body is encased in another. I think it is holding his insides together. I wish there was someway to make this ok. I know there isn't, I am just such a soft hearted person, this is physically killing me..

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have no idea if he is suffering of not. I am so devastated.. I honestly don't know how he survived this long. He is inside a sac still I just left him be, he already broke a sac off his head and his body is encased in another. I think it is holding his insides together. I wish there was someway to make this ok. I know there isn't, I am just such a soft hearted person, this is physically killing me..
This sounds like an insurmountable problem with an inevitable end.
Can you take him to an exotic vet for euthanasia?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
This sounds like an insurmountable problem with an inevitable end.
Can you take him to an exotic vet for euthanasia?
Yes it is inevitable.. I shall do a good search but I don't think I have an exotic vet around here. I have a plain vet I thought about asking because he has worked with our animals for years. It is so sad, I could never imagine having my child be born with a birth defect like this.. God bless the people who have had it happen..

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yes it is inevitable.. I shall do a good search but I don't think I have an exotic vet around here. I have a plain vet I thought about asking because he has worked with our animals for years. It is so sad, I could never imagine having my child be born with a birth defect like this.. God bless the people who have had it happen..
i know that standard euthenasia drugs do NOT work well with turtles. I'm pretty sure reptiles require a totally different approach. I assume there are forum people who would know, but I have no clue who that would be.
So sorry for your little fella (and you ). :(:<3:

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
i know that standard euthenasia drugs do NOT work well with turtles. I'm pretty sure reptiles require a totally different approach. I assume there are forum people who would know, but I have no clue who that would be.
So sorry for your little fella (and you ). :(:<3:
That's okay thank you Moozillion.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
That's okay thank you Moozillion.
I think the little fella is passing now. I can see his heart is slowed way way down maybe a beat a minute. I hope he didn't suffer. I checked and checked and have no exotic vets around here unless I wanted to take a long road trip. I thought about it..

On another note Aberforth is doing great! His yolk is healed up completely already and he took his first little bath yesterday and ate some pellets already. He is a very snappy turtle lol. Everytime I bring my hand by him he bites me.. [emoji19] it's cute for now I suppose.