Guidelines to re-home a tortoise

Vladsfriend

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Howdy all,
There is a distinct possibility that I may have to find a new home for my Russian tortoise, Vladimir, in the coming months. If you found yourself in this position, how would you approach it?
I want a good home for him first. And frankly, he's a rescue. He moved in for free, he can move out for free. But I did spend a chunk of change building his 2-story 33sf furniture grade indoor enclosure last summer. If I find an adopter in the area, is it appropriate to ask for something for his enclosure?
Also, does anyone have recommendations for members in the NE Ohio area that would be good potential tortoise adopters?
Thanks!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is a good idea to ask for a fee to avoid people looking for a free tortoise to sell. I would spend time talking to them, and go with my gut. Best of luck to you. I am not aware of anyone in OH. I am sure there is though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Jodie. Also, people willing to spend money on a tortoise or any animal is more likely to take better care of it too.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
I paid an adoption fee for my tortoise, which came with the enclosure, light fixtures, etc. Granted, I got her from a rescue, but I think it's pretty standard to have some kind of adoption fee, especially if you're looking to give her enclosure and such.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
What's a reasonable adoption fee to separate the truly interested and those looking for a freebie?

Nicole M

5 Year Member
What's a reasonable adoption fee to separate the truly interested and those looking for a freebie?
The fee is up to you and what you feel is fair, honestly, but I generally see fees between $50 and $150. The fee alone probably won't help you distinguish between the two. Rather, it's important that you communicate with whomever you find to adopt the tortoise and have them sign a contract upon adoption that reserves you some rights to the tortoise if it's not being cared for properly. Someone looking for a tortoise to sell likely won't want to deal with that.