Gus now on Baytril

baker27

5 Year Member
Quick question. Gus had his antibiotic switched today to Baytril for URI. He is now on .15ml Baytril injection every 5 days. Is it usually spaced that far apart? I've read sometimes every 72 hrs but not 5 days apart.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Quick question. Gus had his antibiotic switched today to Baytril for URI. He is now on .15ml Baytril injection every 5 days. Is it usually spaced that far apart? I've read sometimes every 72 hrs but not 5 days apart.

The only experience I have had with Bayrtil was daily for 14 days.....was prescribed after an abscess was cleared....tortoise did well and had no lingering issues??? Why so far apart I wonder??? Sounds weird, did you as the vet why? Are you treating an adult or a baby? Did the vet actually test to get a diagnosis or just winged it?

baker27

5 Year Member
The only experience I have had with Bayrtil was daily for 14 days.....was prescribed after an abscess was cleared....tortoise did well and had no lingering issues??? Why so far apart I wonder??? Sounds weird, did you as the vet why? Are you treating an adult or a baby? Did the vet actually test to get a diagnosis or just winged it?
Ascot I did ask him and he said because it's a strong medicine but too me it seemed too far apart. Gus is 6 yrs old and not a little guy. I'm going to call today ask him again. Thanks

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Or... Long acting kind? There are medications that are given in 3-7-and -more days intervals, just never heards of antibiotic dosed that way but it doesn't mean that such doesn't exist. Now, are you havingdoubts about your vet's skills?

baker27

5 Year Member
I know he always is cautious but I'm thinking maybe a bit too much now. I just don't want him to get something that might not be enough. Waiting for a call back from him.

baker27

5 Year Member
Or... Long acting kind? There are medications that are given in 3-7-and -more days intervals, just never heards of antibiotic dosed that way but it doesn't mean that such doesn't exist. Now, are you havingdoubts about your vet's skills?
Pearly he does come highly recommended but have never read or heard a 5 day span. I looked to see if it was extended release but it's not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The usual routine is every day for five days or every other day for 10 days. You vet must have a reason for doing it this way. It's ok to question him.

ksquared

10 Year Member!
In my experience Baytril should be give 24 to every 48 hours. 5 days is way too long in between injections. There are other antibiotics that can be given every 72 hours. It once took 9 weeks for one of my tortoises to clear an URI. So be patient and as long as you see improvement you are on the right road.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know he always is cautious but I'm thinking maybe a bit too much now. I just don't want him to get something that might not be enough. Waiting for a call back from him.

Did the vet actually do a test on the tortoise or did the vet just "visually" diagnose....? How long have you had the tortoise? Did the tortoise develop a runny nose or other "symptoms"...?

baker27

5 Year Member
Did the vet actually do a test on the tortoise or did the vet just "visually" diagnose....? How long have you had the tortoise? Did the tortoise develop a runny nose or other "symptoms"...?
Ascott did not do a swab. I've had Gus 1 1/2 now. He's an Ibera . He came down with what sounded like a wheeze and making a strange noise like he was trying to clear his throat. He was on Fortaz to begin after first week he was eating like a champ again but on week 2 started with bubbles coming out of his nose. Kept him on it a month and vet felt he needed something a bit stronger due to constant bubbles coming out. That's when he prescribed Baytril every 5 days. It's been 3 days now since injection and he's back to eating twice a day again, still bubbles but not as frequent. Just don't want him to start getting better then get worse again because of what seems like a longer span of injections. Vet will call me back tomorrow when he gets back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is why it's best to take your vet's advice, or if not satisfied, get a second opinion from another vet. As you can see, there are many opinions here on the forum, and none of us has gone to vet school.

baker27

5 Year Member
This is why it's best to take your vet's advice, or if not satisfied, get a second opinion from another vet. As you can see, there are many opinions here on the forum, and none of us has gone to vet school.
Thank you everyone for all the responses! Much appreciated

baker27

5 Year Member
Update on Gus! So Gus had his 2nd injection of Baytril yesterday. His bubbly nose has stopped, back to being very active again and eating a good amount. He still has 3 injections to go but looks to be working right now. Vet did call back and told me he felt to space them farther apart so Gus's appetite wouldn't completely go away and lessen the chance of causing any kidney problems since it is a stronger med than he was one before. He was eating just not a lot but that has changed in past 3 days! Hope he keeps going forward and I'll give an update in a few days.