Habitat advice for cherryhead keeper that's going crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yates

5 Year Member
For the record I have talked to some of the best on here and researched a lot but I would like some more perspectives from juvi. cherryhead owners. I have to sell a beautiful 6x2x2 cage that I have had my two juvi(about 7 months and almost 4 inches shell length) cherryheads in. It kept humidity in well (80% ave) and had plenty of floor space. They hide a lot but also eat well and I give them natural sunlight once a week. I believe by using a reptisun 10.0 and a regular day light this may be why they hide so much=too bright?
New cage ideas-

Now- I have a aquarium that I am deliberating on setting up just like Terry (so helpful for advice) does on this site. I know all the negatives of an aquarium but they seem to work fine as long as you watch they heat. I also have a wood top for the aquarium with some ventilation. However, the dimensions are 48 long by 18 wide. I assume the 2 cherrys will outgrow it within a year??

Tortoise yard.com- Vickie whom I got my cherryheads from promotes open tortoise table which I would buy a stock tank or large Rubbermaid tank and hang lights above. I worry about humidity but she and the redfoot manual say it's fine as long as you keep a moist hide. My house is also always in lower 60s so keeping in 80-90 range seems tricky even with multiple Che's.

Disclaimer- I have a cat and i worry about open tank and cat=dead tort

I have done my homework but I feel like I'm going mad trying to figure out a good setup that they can thrive in. Any advice and or picture would be much appreciated. Thank you!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
I know what you mean!!! I have had my share of problems with my Cherryheads. Ok, so what I was told to do (after I bought my $1000 female adult cherryhead!) by the previous owner was this: during winter months, keep the cherryheads in 85 degree climate, 75 at night. Do not mist. Soak cherryheads as often as they need, once a week. (smaller torts 2-3 times a week) I use Cypress Mulch for bedding. No UVB, dries out their eyes. Substitute their food with Osteo-Form with Vitamin D powder once a week. In the warmer months when they are outside they obviously get natural UVB. Feed Mazuri, that's supposed to be really good for them and you get them healthy enough, they should not get sick. THAT is what I am following NOW. And my cherryheads are happy and healthy! What I WAS doing in the past was trying to imitate the "rainforest" and I misted misted misted and I lost 3 due to LRI (lower respitory infection) Wishing you Good Luck!!:)

Erimis

5 Year Member
I am having the same dilemma! I decided to go ahead with a glass tank for now (same size as yours). I have NO humidity, can't even maintain a moist hide overnight. I hope it will last more than a year but I have no idea.
I am getting my cherries from Vicki on Thursday :)

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
I live in Utah where it is considered high desert - why, I don't know, it is actually a valley surrounded by mountains, but it is very dry here. I have my little CherryBomb (~3") in a 20L glass tank. There are hydroton balls at the bottom with heat cable that is topped with screen and coconut coir. I over fill the water dish, which is terra cotta, daily. I lightly mist maybe 1-2 times a week, use a 60w bulb for above heat and a 2.0 UVB strip. There is a half buried terra cotta pot with spagnum for a hide near the water dish. At night I cover the tank 1/2 way with a rubbermaid top. I've done this since last Oct.3 and it seems to work well. I would like to upgrade to a 40g breeder but heck, who has time?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep mine in a waterland tub in the winter (they are about 7-8 inches) I covered the top with hard cloth to keep the cats out. They are outside when the weather is warm enough. I spray the enclosure 3 times a day usually. Both enclosures are well planted and have water sources at all times. Hope that is helpful.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cats: Don't worry about it. Dogs naturally chew on bony stuff so are a real threat. Cats mostly try to 'play' with tortoises, then get bored quickly. Now, if you have a pet jaguar- they eat tortoises as part of their natural diet so you'd have to be careful... but if you have a pet jaguar, you have lots of other problems to contend with.

Humidity: If you can maintain a good 'natural' background humidity of around 40-50%, then micro-climates of higher humidity will do you just fine. There are lots of ways to accomplish humidity without going to a rainforest or misting all the time, etc. https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/humidity-1

Table vs. tank vs. aquaria: This is all mostly personal choice, but partly driven by your local microclimates. A home that is dry and cool in the winter may be a better match for a covered table/mini-greenhouse or mostly enclosed tank to make it easier to manage the temps and humidities.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Madkins007 said:
Cats: Don't worry about it. Dogs naturally chew on bony stuff so are a real threat. Cats mostly try to 'play' with tortoises, then get bored quickly.

I agree that the cats won't hurt the torts , but they will go to the bathroom in the subtrate. That's why I keep mine covered! (I have actually had a kitten steal a hatchling box turtle out of the pen and run down the hall with him in her mouth though!)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I live in California...in the high desert here...dry most days....I have one redfoot in a 55 gallon rubbermaid that I have cut the life so it covers roughly half to three quarters of the top.....I also have another redfoot in a 55 gallon tank and also have the top covered at about half to three quarters...the tank absolutely retains the heat and humidity at a much more level field....I will pour a jug of really warm eater in about half yo three quarters of the substrate every few days...I do however leave the coolest end dry...I feel that they need the ability to dry out when they so desire...and I find that this is the side that they retreat to a couple nights a week to sleep...

They get outside sun time almost every day there is sun with 60 plus degree weather and I will leave them out eventually all day as the weather gets consistently warmer....
I wonder why you could not try a che for warmth or a red or black night heat bulb along with your 10.0 long tube uvb?? Then your concern about too bright would be resolved but the low grade uvb would still be in play?

Also..at that size it is normal for a tortoise to hide a bit more than they will when they get larger/older...

a side note; I would absolutely cover the top so your cat can not get in there with them ...all it takes is a swat to the head from the cat to cause damage to the tort...I would treat the cat as I would a dog....now I do have to say that I have seen some very wild type cats that can do serious harm....as there are also some cats that would not...kinda your judgement call...good luck with your choice...

Oh and Terryo has the most beautiful indoor enclosures for hers...hers are a great model to try to replicate....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yates:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Yates

5 Year Member
My name is Isaac and I live in Marin County in the north bay of California.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
My cat will sit on her tower, and look down into my tortoise enclosure, and fall asleep watching them :D

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
ya about humidity, if i had an outdoor enclosure next to some sprinklers that come out of the ground, could i turn those on when hes outside for like 10 minutes and then leave it like that for the rest of the day? and i live in washington state so the summers are usually in the 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.