Habitat for leopard and sulcata

cgcortezrn

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I own a 5 year old sulcata tortoise and 5 year old leopard tortoise. I’m currently building a very large habitat outside. Can I put both tortoise in this habitat together? I have a shed with 2 turtle doors for them to go in for the night and when weather gets cold. So they will have their separate bed so to speak.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
It is best not to keep separate species in the same enclosure.

Sulcatas grow a lot larger than leopards, and are also (typically) a lot more outgoing. A Sulcata could very easily trap a leopard against the side of the enclosure and kill it, or flip it over and leave it to die in the sun. The Sulcata will also always outcompete the Leopard for food. They are much larger, and much stronger, and typically much more territorial than Leopards.

If they are male and female they can breed. There are a number of ethical issues that come with allowing the breeding between two separate species which I won’t go into, but keepers should aim to keep the species from hybridising.

Ignoring the issue between keeping these two species together. Keeping two tortoises together of any species anyway is a bad idea. One tortoise will always be the dominant one and harass the submissive, preventing them from getting adequate amounts of food, forcing them into hiding, or just making them so uncomfortable they end up becoming sick, or dying.

It is best you create two separate enclosures. This allows both species to thrive without fear of the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I own a 5 year old sulcata tortoise and 5 year old leopard tortoise. I’m currently building a very large habitat outside. Can I put both tortoise in this habitat together? I have a shed with 2 turtle doors for them to go in for the night and when weather gets cold. So they will have their separate bed so to speak.
Here is a way to have two separated enclosures with just one night box to heat:

cgcortezrn

Louisiana
It is best not to keep separate species in the same enclosure.

Sulcatas grow a lot larger than leopards, and are also (typically) a lot more outgoing. A Sulcata could very easily trap a leopard against the side of the enclosure and kill it, or flip it over and leave it to die in the sun. The Sulcata will also always outcompete the Leopard for food. They are much larger, and much stronger, and typically much more territorial than Leopards.

If they are male and female they can breed. There are a number of ethical issues that come with allowing the breeding between two separate species which I won’t go into, but keepers should aim to keep the species from hybridising.

Ignoring the issue between keeping these two species together. Keeping two tortoises together of any species anyway is a bad idea. One tortoise will always be the dominant one and harass the submissive, preventing them from getting adequate amounts of food, forcing them into hiding, or just making them so uncomfortable they end up becoming sick, or dying.

It is best you create two separate enclosures. This allows both species to thrive without fear of the other.
Thank you avuwyy for your valuable information. It all makes perfect sense. My sulcata weighs 28# and my leopard weighs 8#s. I surely wouldn’t want anything to happen to him. I’m going to put my 2’ divider right down the center of my habitat. Then they can have their own turtle door that will also be divided. Right now I’m hauling really good dirt to build up the area and landscape it. Then I’m putting safe sturdy caves for them to get out of the sun or weather. But living in South Louisiana we have opossum and raccoons. I will close off the entrance to the caves for the night or close their turtle doors at night to protect them from the night critters. Will just depend where they decided to turn in for the night. I’m open to any other suggestions to keep my babies safe. Thank you again Avuwwy!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you avuwyy for your valuable information. It all makes perfect sense. My sulcata weighs 28# and my leopard weighs 8#s. I surely wouldn’t want anything to happen to him. I’m going to put my 2’ divider right down the center of my habitat. Then they can have their own turtle door that will also be divided. Right now I’m hauling really good dirt to build up the area and landscape it. Then I’m putting safe sturdy caves for them to get out of the sun or weather. But living in South Louisiana we have opossum and raccoons. I will close off the entrance to the caves for the night or close their turtle doors at night to protect them from the night critters. Will just depend where they decided to turn in for the night. I’m open to any other suggestions to keep my babies safe. Thank you again Avuwwy!
There are daytime predators too. Think about dogs, humans and birds of prey.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I don't know much about your climate but don't forget caves can flood and collapse, so need to be safe from those hazards.
If you search you'll find Tom's design for a night box which you can lock them in and heat during your colder, wetter seasons.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
If you’re looking for additional ideas for shade (And feeding I guess). Tortoise safe plants are a great addition to any enclosure.

Plants such as fescue grass, carex / sedge grasses, alongside any safe shrub type plants: Hebe, cinquefoils, and hibiscus are some examples of these. The grasses will be good additions to their diets, they will exhibit natural behaviours by grazing on these, assisting them in hitting that recommended 70% hays and grasses (diet) applied to both of these species. The shrubs will provide all day shade, as well as munching material if they are able to reach any of the leaves.

Having plants in an enclosure increases the humidity of the area. Which is important when taking into account how sensitive leopards are to low humidity. I’m not sure how humid of a place Louisiana is, but having plants growing can aid in providing a great amount of humidity for your still growing animals :)

I would also recommend sprinkling some grass seed down in the enclosures if you haven’t already got grass growing there (Timothy, orchard, bermuda, it’s worth checking on the forums to see which grasses are edible and recommended based on fibre / protein content), and maybe some mixed tortoise friendly weed seeds: clover, deadnettle, vetch, marigold, cornflower, dandelion, ribwort plantain… There are hundreds I could list off.

The best place to look for tortoise friendly seeds are online as some places will sell packs of mixed seeds you can fling around the enclosure and wait to grow. Makes things worlds easier. If you can encourage them to graze it will be great for them, this aids in providing them the most natural diet possible (Good for your wallet too).

The tortoise table may give you some ideas which float away from those I have already provided: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Just ideas though! You can get by without doing what I recommended, but again, it will make it easier to provide the best environment for the species you own. So it is always worth a mention!

Oh and since I didn’t notice you are new to the form previously, welcome to the form!
We would love to see your enclosure once you’ve got it finished up!! We would also love to see your tortoises :)

[ And apologies for babbling on / over explaining , I start and then I can’t stop myself. It’s a habit I’m trying to get out of lol ]

Reactions: Tom