Haggling at a Reptile Show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hey all,

So I'm going to Repticon in Baltimore next month and I was wondering, what are your thoughts on haggling? Should I? Shouldn't I? Has anyone had any success or horror stories?

I've bought stuff at reptile shows before, but never anything that would be worth haggling over.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
everytime i go to a reptile show toward the end those guys attack when you look at there tort like ill take 50% off this on and 30 off this, they just dont want to drag all that stuff back home!
so yeah its worth it to haggle!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I agree. If you stay kinda late and theirs something you want. Usually they will take quite a bit off. I got a pair of yellow-foots 12" for $150 because they didnt want to pack them up and take them back. Its totally worth it. even in the beginning too. The vendor tables are expensive so they want to make sure they make the money back on the table and employees.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I always haggle on price at shows. There was a big female russian listed for 150 years back at a show here in Phoenix. It was at the end of the day and last day of the show and I said hey I got 50 bucks in my hand and thats it, take it or leave it. I ended up bringing that russian home with me. :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I never pay full price for anything! My dad has was an auctioneer and taught me always to haggle!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Good to know! So you're saying going in the morning of the first day probably isn't the best time to do haggling, eh? Because that's exactly when I wanted to go....

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great info your Bud has an Awesome hair cut :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Mgridgaway said:
Good to know! So you're saying going in the morning of the first day probably isn't the best time to do haggling, eh? Because that's exactly when I wanted to go....

If its close to you then go when it opens, thats usually when the best stuff is there. If its far then I would just go the last day for a few hours and scope everything out and try to find the best price. Oh and the people to haggle with is the private breeders. The companies and dealers wont move down much on anything.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I HATE haggling, but at shows it is kind of crazy not to. Very rarely will a vendor turn down a reasonable offer on a common animal.

When I am dealing with rare animals or a respected breeder, I NEVER try to bargain. Even if the price seems high, I feel that the risk of offending someone who has earned a good reputation in the breeding community is not worth it. More than once I have ended up getting a good deal later on from someone who "likes" me because I paid the asking price for something previously without trying to haggle. Generally, it's worth the extra cost to get an animal from a great breeder in my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I look at this two ways:
If there is something specific that you are looking for, better be there first thing Saturday morning, cash in hand ready to pay asking price. A little haggling might work because every vendor is afraid they won't sell enough to make their money back.

The second way has already been described. Wait until the end of the show and pick up the left overs that people don't want to take home at a reduced price. When I was selling roaches, I was selling them at a very good price, so I stuck to my fair deal all weekend. Come Sunday afternoon I was giving them away to friends or doing two for one specials with anybody that showed any interest. The thought of unpacking those roaches back into their tubs after hours packing them two days before was just not a fun one.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
My two cents: wait until the last day of the show. Haggle then -- vendors are less likely to be insulted (which I've run into) and as others have stated, they don't want to transpo the stuff back.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you wait until the last minute, sure they will most probably sell at a reduced price. Remember, though that the beginning is the best time to find the best specimins. You most probably won't get a price break, but, you have the pick of what's being sold. If you're looking for a particular thing, chances are it might be gone the first day.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yes, my first and last reptile show was 15 years ago. Saw this Male RF with terrible pyramiding, guy saw me and my son go by a few times, and really laid it on thick. Wife won't let me keep him, has had since baby, yada yada, (I went to possibly get a chameleon) Son was going 'oh ma wouldn't that be cool??" I finally went back and got him for 75 dollars. Jack has been a great part of our family and I have learned loads and loads since then. Never went back and got chameleons!!
Thankfully
Nay

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
A couple things I have found.

~Cash talks! And don't keep all your cash in one spot. People get irritated when you show them that you could have easily paid the asking price.
~If you are buying more than one thing at a table, ask for a deal.
~Walk the show, and compare prices. If you like animal X at $100, and three rows over another breeder is selling the same for $50, go back and talk to the first guy. They will usually drop the price a bit.
~Be polite, and talk to the breeders before you ask for a deal. You don't want to come across as a bargain hunter, but as an informed herp lover.
~Walk away. If they don't want to drop the price, and it isn't a 'must have' animal/item, walk the show for an hour or two and then swing by and see if it is still there.

I like to walk the show once and mentally mark who has what I want, and at what prices. This way I know what the average price is, and what I should expect to pay. However, there are times when you are paying for the breeder. In the Blood world, I would never consider haggling with Keith McPeek or the Barkers, just because I know their animals are the highest quality available. :D

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I don't think it ever hurts to haggle some. I always do when at a show. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but I've never had anyone be offended by me asking.:shy:

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
I price out general market BEFORE i go to a show, i cant walk by stuff like trans pecos rats hoping itll be there when i get back!!!, i dont always buy the cheapest, either, if something is above my fair "just pay it price" I ask them if they would be willing to go lower. If they say, no, i really cant, and i still want the animal, i will pay, but generally Ill walk if its reasonably common. People seem to just offer me deals... particularly if i wait patiently and wait my turn to ask for the animals im looking for. Im never ever pushy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You could always bring an attractive, busty female friend to do all of the haggling.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
dmmj said:
You could always bring an attractive, busty female friend to do all of the haggling.

Best thing I have ever read that you have posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.