Hahaha, as usual, tortoises do whatever they want!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I posted a bit ago that I was looking forward to bring my tortoise out of hibernation but was also thinking some barriers my husband had built around our plants weren’t going to cut it. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ready-for-hibernation-to-end.189761/.

She came out super fast this year; we pulled her out of a fifty-degree fridge last night and gave her a soak this morning, thinking we’d see her out of her night box in a couple of days.

Nope, she was up by noon; here’s where I found her, right in the middle of the one barrier I’d told my husband was just going to be her jungle gym. What’s even better is that it is just the right width for her to get stuck so the protected plant got broken immediately. Better luck next year husband! She’s getting really warmed up in the sun now before she moves on to more destruction.

327DC07A-AA86-4FCD-85DF-3C3FA1D08643.jpeg

It’s going to be a bummer of a spring. A hummingbird nested right on her patio last week and we can’t be out here without scaring her off the nest. So about three more weeks until we can really get out here to tortoise watch. Hopefully we get at least a peek at baby birds.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
She’s good size! How much does she weigh? How long?
About three pounds right now after hibernation; so lower than her heaviest weight last year. Length, oops we forgot to measure her last year! Something over seven inches? She’s a good eater, doubling her weight the first couple of years we had her; fortunately she’s slowed down a bit since then.

You know what they say? They are mini sulcatas which equals bull dozer of smaller size lol
One hundred percent agree. I noticed yesterday she’s grown large enough to throw herself over a new, larger boulder. Right onto a plant my husband I felt needed fencing and my husband did not, so two destroyed in one day. It’s going to be a rough year.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
I posted a bit ago that I was looking forward to bring my tortoise out of hibernation but was also thinking some barriers my husband had built around our plants weren’t going to cut it. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ready-for-hibernation-to-end.189761/.

She came out super fast this year; we pulled her out of a fifty-degree fridge last night and gave her a soak this morning, thinking we’d see her out of her night box in a couple of days.

Nope, she was up by noon; here’s where I found her, right in the middle of the one barrier I’d told my husband was just going to be her jungle gym. What’s even better is that it is just the right width for her to get stuck so the protected plant got broken immediately. Better luck next year husband! She’s getting really warmed up in the sun now before she moves on to more destruction.

View attachment 320108

It’s going to be a bummer of a spring. A hummingbird nested right on her patio last week and we can’t be out here without scaring her off the nest. So about three more weeks until we can really get out here to tortoise watch. Hopefully we get at least a peek at baby birds.
?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...I noticed yesterday she’s grown large enough to throw herself over a new, larger boulder. Right onto a plant my husband I felt needed fencing and my husband did not, so two destroyed in one day. It’s going to be a rough year.
It wouldn't be so rough if the husband listened to the tortoise keeper that knows her tortoise...