hand warmers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
So Bert will be embarking on his adventure to his new home next week. But i dont know If i should use a hand warmer or not. He will be in a box, in a pillow case then have packing peanuts on top. then that box will go into another box, agian filled with packing peanuts. ( i am really stressing over this and just want him there already!But if little hatchlings can do it, Then he should have no problem! least thats what i keep telling myself)
Anyway, its very cold here and we just had our first snow. I plan on takeing him to ups late as i can so he wont have to sit around. BUT, should i use a hand warmer in the second box? and how? should i wrap it in a towel and set it Under his box? And are they safe to use in high altitude? I dont want it to expand and explode, that would be bad.
Has anyone every used them durring shipping? or do you think he will be o.k. without one? he is going over nite by air.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
If it is between boxes, you can set it in as is. We usually wrap them in newspaper.
Hope this helps,

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
I've used several hundred of them and never had an issue with one exploding or expanding. We've had them not last the rated time, but nothing else. The cargo hold is pressurized to ensure things don't explode. Otherwise Bert (and all the other reptiles, birds, fish, etc. shipped daily) would freeze to death if they didn't asphyxiate first.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
as usual i got excellent advice from all! Bert is going from the cold windy prairies of wyoming to the wonderful warm humid climate of Florida, so i dont think they will turn him down, perhaps if he were going someplce cold.
I like the idea of wrapping it in news paper, and also putting it in a plastic bag. I wasnt sure if the cargo plane would be pressurized like normal planes,But J.Ellis woke me up on that. Duh me! of course it would be otherwise all the critters would freeze. Sometimes my brain seems to shut its self off.
Sorry to sound so lame on all this, but its my first time shipping a live animal. Just want him to arrive safely. Thanks agian everyone! :) as always your a BIG help!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Why ship in a box that's inside of a box?

All you need in one insulated box, and a heat pack........Don't put the heat pack in anything, just wrap it in one layer of newspaper........

Put the animal in the box with whatever you're packing it with, and put the heat pack to one side.......Make sure the animal isn't directly touching and you're good.........Just make sure you have at least one small vent hole because heat packs work on oxygen......

M

Maggie Cummings

I line one whole side of the box with hand warmers, wrapped in newspaper. The way you are doing it is good Sara. I put the tortoise down in the toe of a sock then I tie a knot behind him so he can't move around. But with this weather I would use several hand warmers and line half the box with them...

EricIvins said:

All you need in one insulated box, and a heat pack........Don't put the heat pack in anything, just wrap it in one layer of newspaper........

Put the animal in the box with whatever you're packing it with, and put the heat pack to one side.......Make sure the animal isn't directly touching and you're good.........Just make sure you have at least one small vent hole because heat packs work on oxygen......

You put insulation between the boxes to help keep the animal warm. That's why 2 boxes.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
EricIvins said:

I am usuing 2 boxes for insulation and also for protection. He isnt a hatchling but not an adult. he will get bounced around bad enough during transport. its very cold here so the 2 box method will also help with insulation and keeping as much heat in as i can. The first box he will be in will have plenty of air holes as well.
Also with the heat packs i want them insulated enough to give off heat, but not too hot as to over heat. so agian the 2 box method will help with this. and also, should one box become damaged, the inner box would be protected, alot of times boxes look like the get munched up.
thats why i am going with the 2 box method, better safe than sorry:D

Status
Not open for further replies.