Handling hatchling tortoises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TashaR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
How much hands on time is "safe" for a hatchling? How much time out of a heated tank is okay?

I've heard mixed information about how much handling is safe or encouraged for young tortoises. I am bringing mine home tomorrow (SO excited) and as much as I want to have him out, I also want to make sure that I do what's best for him.

I live in Wisconsin. We will not be going outside until April or May, when it starts to warm up. I have this enclosure (http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/s-/s-a-m-play-pen-for-hamsters-by-s-a-m-.jpg) from a hamster I used to have (it's been sterilized since), and so plan on using it with Emmett while he is small for supervised outside of his cage time.

Thanks in advance :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Minimal handling for at least the 1st year...get him/her established 1st.

Outside-in-the-sun time, otoh, is essential, and you want to do this as often as it's warm enough.

Also, this is a good time to start planning your new tort's outside home...what species are you getting?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I see the picture, but I don't recognize that kind of enclosure for a tortoise. Are the walls solid? Is there a solid floor? Can you cover most of it to keep heat in? My own hatchlings are in rubbermaid-type tubs or glass tanks, so the walls and sides are solid, and I can keep most of the top covered, too. Without solid walls, it would be difficult to maintain the 80 degrees of background warmth throughout, and the 80 percent humidity, that hatchlings thrive in.
Handling: I live in a cold climate, so I know that whenever my torts are out of their enclosure they are loosing body heat. I minimize handling for this reason. Even in summer, when the kids can go outside for a bit of sun, I still minimize handling just because I want them to be calling the shots and showing me who they are, rather than responding to situations I put them in. Now I want to be clear that not handling them/removing them from their enclosures doesn't mean no interaction. I watch them and talk to them about all the time, and my hands are in their enclosures fussing with the furniture, etc. My Hermann, Torty, has a definite preference for being hand fed, so my hands are in his enclosure a lot.

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Terry Allan Hall said:

Outside-in-the-sun time, otoh, is essential, and you want to do this as often as it's warm enough.

Also, this is a good time to start planning your new tort's outside home...what species are you getting?

I'm getting a Marginated Tortoise. I live in Wisconsin where it is impractical to keep a tortoise outside during the winter...at least, at this point in my experience, I would feel it inappropriate. I don't think it's appropriate at all to take my hatchling outside in 20 degree weather...but we'll go outside when it's warmer.

(If I'm wrong about that, please let me know!)

TortyQueen said:
I see the picture, but I don't recognize that kind of enclosure for a tortoise. Are the walls solid? Is there a solid floor? Can you cover most of it to keep heat in? My own hatchlings are in rubbermaid-type tubs or glass tanks, so the walls and sides are solid, and I can keep most of the top covered, too. Without solid walls, it would be difficult to maintain the 80 degrees of background warmth throughout, and the 80 percent humidity, that hatchlings thrive in.
Handling: I live in a cold climate, so I know that whenever my torts are out of their enclosure they are loosing body heat. I minimize handling for this reason. Even in summer, when the kids can go outside for a bit of sun, I still minimize handling just because I want them to be calling the shots and showing me who they are, rather than responding to situations I put them in. Now I want to be clear that not handling them/removing them from their enclosures doesn't mean no interaction. I watch them and talk to them about all the time, and my hands are in their enclosures fussing with the furniture, etc. My Hermann, Torty, has a definite preference for being hand fed, so my hands are in his enclosure a lot.

Like I said, that small, caged enclosure is something I plan on using it with Emmett while he is small for supervised outside of his cage time. He's not going to live in there. (I did actually do SOME research before I bought my tortoise! :)) All the other pictures I've seen of people who take their tortoises outside are not covered....that sort of defeats the purpose of taking them outside & getting the sunlight.

Emmett has a 20 gallon long set up for his first year of life and will then move to a larger habitat.

I hope Emmett likes to be handfed! I know for the first days I will probably not handle him much at all but I hope as he settles in he can come out and crawl around for a little bit.

Thanks for your advice :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Ah! I failed to understand that the enclosure was for outdoor trips. Sorry about that;) My leopards only got to go out a few times before the real cold set in here, and I had to keep them on the porch because the temps were too cold elsewhere. I had them in a box lid, with 3 inch sides. I'll need a different arrangement in spring the next time they go out, because they'll be too big for a box lid!

John

5 Year Member
I feel handling should be kept too a minimum,only when needed.my leopards will come too my fingers and check me out one even rams them ,but they do not expect too be picked up.that is not playing too a tortoise it is scary.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My opinion: handling can be beneficial in a lot of ways. Exactly how much is too much is debatable. I've noticed that my tortoises will become accustomed to me handling them up which helps when examining them.

I would say I handle mine often, but I think its HOW I handle them that makes it less stressful. Holding a tortoise from the top with your fingers on both sides of its shell seems to stress them out quickly. I hold my hatchlings in the palm of my hand and let them walk around a little bit. This way they don't feel like they are suspended in the air and it seems less stressful.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TashaR said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

I'm getting a Marginated Tortoise. I live in Wisconsin where it is impractical to keep a tortoise outside during the winter...at least, at this point in my experience, I would feel it inappropriate. I don't think it's appropriate at all to take my hatchling outside in 20 degree weather...but we'll go outside when it's warmer.

(If I'm wrong about that, please let me know!)

Basically, you only want to him/her to live outside during the late spring/summer/early fall, when it's warm enough...winter is Indoor living (some hibernate their tortoise, some do not).

Definitely start thinking about making an outdoor home, though...unfilteredc sunlight is so much better for your pet than even the best artificial lights, and you'll be able to watch him/her act like a tortoise...climbing over things, looking for new and tasty plants or the occ. worm...it's just cool to sit and watch them do their little tortoise routines! :cool:

if you know you'll be at the same place for a long time, why not make the outside "tortoisarium" a highlight of your yard decor?
Maybe stonework (my favorite).

stonewall-500.jpg

Obviously, much higher walls (2', minimum), but, by hauling in rocks a few at a time and making this an ongoing project, about the timne you finish, your pet can move in! And. the best part is that it really costs almost nothing if you build it yourself, other than the cost of the sacks of mortar...rocks of all sizes can be had for free at any place where there's a road being re-built or housing construction...they can either give you the rocks or pay someone else to haul 'em away!

A bit of work, but, done well, it really adds to the overall yard's beauty.

OTOH, an easily disassembled wooden enclosure might be better is you're likely to be moving often (2 X 4s and bolts)

d6965a10-07be-4034-83b4-76e812097e33

An early enclosure, for a small sulcata, before a lot of tweeking...later, after rebuilding it for my Hermann's, it looks like this:

a4dc9165-f0b9-4dba-bd3d-8f579d43a152

Because Marginateds get a little bigger than other Europeans (12-14"), plan on a somewhat larger enclosure...6' X 6' is really the minimal, 10' X 6' is better...of course, while he/she is a youngster, you can get by w/ a smaller inside enclosure, but, once grown (3-5 years, perhaps), he/she'll need plenty of room inside, too, so start your planning...

Hope this is helpful.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Handling- Remember, tortoises are not mammals. If a mammal is picked up or held, it is a parent. When a reptile is picked up or held, it is a predator and they are going to die. This is stressful, but there is a value to getting them used to it. Leave it alone for a while to let it get used to the habitat and eating well- I would give it at least a week, preferably 2 or 3.

When it has settled in, pick it up and let it sit on your hand as you examine it, clean it, let it soak, or whatever other cares you are doing. Be gentle and patient. A few short sessions that get longer and more often over time is probably the best plan. Some torts seem to enjoy the handling and contact (they often like having their heads rubbed or chins stroked), some never seem to so you'll have to use your judgement here.

Housing- the play pen is an option, but when it is in the pen, it will basically be in a relatively cool, plain place. I strongly recommend a bigger home to start with that it can live in for a while. Plastic tubs are a good option- cheap, and you can get the really big Christmas tree versions this time of year it can use later. Make the tub interesting- hills, plants, hides, etc. so it gets its exercise just exploring. This also means you can keep it at the temps and humidity that are best for it all of the time.

Sunlight- One thing you can do for sunlight is to take it out on cold, windless, but sunny days and hold it in your bare hands for a few minutes each day. Make sure the shell is dry first. Most torts are a lot more tolerant of cold than we think, and your hands will keep it safe for a while. If it assumes the 'sun worship' position- head up, legs out- you'll know it is enjoying the sunlight.

Sunlight is especially important if you don't have a good alternative source of UVB lighting.

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
Neal Butler said:
My opinion: handling can be beneficial in a lot of ways. Exactly how much is too much is debatable. I've noticed that my tortoises will become accustomed to me handling them up which helps when examining them.

I would say I handle mine often, but I think its HOW I handle them that makes it less stressful. Holding a tortoise from the top with your fingers on both sides of its shell seems to stress them out quickly. I hold my hatchlings in the palm of my hand and let them walk around a little bit. This way they don't feel like they are suspended in the air and it seems less stressful.

That is how I handle my tort too, or any small animal, I also put my hand palm up against my stomach so they don't feel completely exposed on all sides. Keeps my left hand free to catch any jumpers...

sdirks

5 Year Member
Indiana
Neal Butler said:
Holding a tortoise from the top with your fingers on both sides of its shell seems to stress them out quickly. I hold my hatchlings in the palm of my hand and let them walk around a little bit. This way they don't feel like they are suspended in the air and it seems less stressful.

I've noticed this too with my baby. When I pick him (or her?) up, he looks down below him, like he's wondering where the ground went. Once I get him picked up, though, I'll let him sit in the palm of my hand, and he doesn't seem to mind that.

Status
Not open for further replies.