Happy (almost) Spring from Gomez!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Cute tort! :) I couldn't help but mention that the plant he's eating looks like an Oxalis species, which The Tortoise Table mentions as unsafe to feed. It sounds like the occasional nimble won't cause too much trouble for him, but I'd hate to see this plant cause any problems for your tortoise. I've always been really careful to make sure this plant doesn't end up in my outdoor enclosure, so I don't have any personal experience with my Russian eating Oxalis, but if you happen to notice any reactions from your tortoise, please share with the online community. :) Best of luck to you!

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=362

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think that looks like clover. I've got a lot of that growing in my yard. Is he interested in the roses at all? Charlie loves roses.

I'm happy to see in your signature line that Gomez has his own Morticia. I guess they prefer the stems to the flowers then. (The Addams family always threw away the roses and kept the stems.)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I think that looks like clover. I've got a lot of that growing in my yard. Is he interested in the roses at all? Charlie loves roses.

I'm happy to see in your signature line that Gomez has his own Morticia. I guess they prefer the stems to the flowers then. (The Addams family always threw away the roses and kept the stems.)
Yes, Oxalis and clover look very much alike! I did find a good thread on the forum that has some photos too. It's a bit old but the information is still good! :) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/oxalis-or-clover-whats-in-your-garden.7580/

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks! I've never seen oxalis in my yard. I get a lot of clover and the flowers are always fluffy white balls.
My Russian just started eating the dutch white clover last summer. :) Getting outside in his enclosure garden has changed his tastes for the better.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Cute tort! :) I couldn't help but mention that the plant he's eating looks like an Oxalis species, which The Tortoise Table mentions as unsafe to feed. It sounds like the occasional nimble won't cause too much trouble for him, but I'd hate to see this plant cause any problems for your tortoise. I've always been really careful to make sure this plant doesn't end up in my outdoor enclosure, so I don't have any personal experience with my Russian eating Oxalis, but if you happen to notice any reactions from your tortoise, please share with the online community. :) Best of luck to you!

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=362

Ah, thank you! I assumed it was harmless clover. They don't have any in their enclosures, but when they are free to roam the yard they sometimes snack on it. I'll steer them elsewhere next time.

The flower on the ground is a camellia. They don't touch them.