Happy Holidays to All

ChelonianKeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Southern New Jersey
Hello Everybody,
I am a new member to this forum but a long time tortoise owner. I would like to start by wishing everyone the very best that the Holidays have to offer(even though they sometimes offer very little other than frustration)!! Threw the years I have been able to work with a number of turtle/tortoise species and because of my location, Southern New Jersey, I have found that Rain Forest species rather than arid species work best for me. I currently own 2:3 Ornate Terrapins, 1:0:2 Bolivian Red Foots, 0:1 Venezuelan Red Foot, 0:2 Brazilian Yellow Foots, 0:0:2 Suriname Yellow Foots, 0:1 Sub Species unknown very large(20", 40lb.) Yellow Foot and finally my prizes Jewels a 1:6 group of Peruvian Amazon Basin Yellow Foots. I will be selling off most of my tortoises in the spring that are not ABYF's so that I will be able to focus my efforts just on them. This is a very important project to me as there are few people working with this sub species, especially since Peru has closed their door to the export of Fauna. I was truly blessed and honored to have come across such a long term captive group in such good condition. Of the 4 adult females, all have been X-rayed and 3 have shown they are carrying eggs. I have a cat litter pan in their room which is 12' x 12' that has a top soil and peat moss mix in it. Well the first female dug no test holes whatsoever and just started depositing eggs randomly on the ground which led me to take her to the Vet to get a series (2) of Oxytocin Shots. Naturally that cleaned her out. However the other 2 which are also holding eggs have made no attempts at digging any test holes and are on the same path as the first Tortoise. Any recommendations that anyone can make regarding an indoor nesting box would be greatly appreciated!! As I stated, this is a VERY important project to me and I have never had tortoises just randomly deposit eggs without first digging some test holes. Thanks in advance to all who reply!!
Best Regards,
Scott

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My YF tortoises have never dug nest holes. If you provide a thick layer of leaf litter, I think you will have better luck with nesting.

Welcome to the forum, and...

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Happy Holiday! ! ! !

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hi there :) I love the footed species!! Yellowfoots are next on my list! We'd love to see some pics of your torts!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that's sort of an optical illusion because the tortoise is closer to the camera. See how big his fingers are under the tortoise?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I think that's sort of an optical illusion because the tortoise is closer to the camera. See how big his fingers are under the tortoise?
Yeah LOL...I realized that after I looked at that picture again!! Whew :)

ChelonianKeeper

Southern New Jersey
Thanks to all for your replies. My largest female is 20", 40#'s and the smallest of that sub-species is 9". The one in the avatar pic is one of the smaller females at 15" SCL. My male is 18" SCL and if you know YF's a male that size is few and far between. The 1:4 group that I just acquired, the avatar pic, was imported from Peru about 12-14 years ago. Since then, Peru has banned all export of Fauna so they are very near and dear to me!!