HAPPY PET STORE STORY

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I went to a pet store today to get some good for my Chameleon. I of course checked out the animals they had. Rabbits, Guinea pigs, birds, few lizards and snakes and a Russian tortoise. The enclosure was small, but of course, stores can't give the room a tortoise needs. The lighting, substrate, all good. The water dish, well, let's just say, the tortoise would have had to be able to stand up on his back legs and stretch his front legs up and pull himself into the dish. An older lady was cleaning cages. I asked her if I could give her some advice about the tortoise. I explained the water dish situation. She thanked me and immediately got an appropriate dish and swapped them out. She then thanked me again and asked what should she be feeding him other then lettuce. I of course told her a few things I thought she would be able to get the store owner to buy.
I thanked her for changing the dish and let her know I really appreciated it.
Please, always try to get a store to make changes where needed. Don't harp on enclosure size, usually that can't be helped, a mention of it will do. Most other care needs can be easily changed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I went to a pet store today to get some good for my Chameleon. I of course checked out the animals they had. Rabbits, Guinea pigs, birds, few lizards and snakes and a Russian tortoise. The enclosure was small, but of course, stores can't give the room a tortoise needs. The lighting, substrate, all good. The water dish, well, let's just say, the tortoise would have had to be able to stand up on his back legs and stretch his front legs up and pull himself into the dish. An older lady was cleaning cages. I asked her if I could give her some advice about the tortoise. I explained the water dish situation. She thanked me and immediately got an appropriate dish and swapped them out. She then thanked me again and asked what should she be feeding him other then lettuce. I of course told her a few things I thought she would be able to get the store owner to buy.
I thanked her for changing the dish and let her know I really appreciated it.
Please, always try to get a store to make changes where needed. Don't harp on enclosure size, usually that can't be helped, a mention of it will do. Most other care needs can be easily changed.
Great outcome.
You must have a friendly demeanor.
I had just the opposite thing happen at Beverlys pet center in Hollywood this past Saturday.
Yes. I mention names ;)
The lanky, young boy that runs the reptile area knows everything there is to know about Redfoot. (Except that he doesn't.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great outcome.
You must have a friendly demeanor.
I had just the opposite thing happen at Beverlys pet center in Hollywood this past Saturday.
Yes. I mention names ;)
The lanky, young boy that runs the reptile area knows everything there is to know about Redfoot. (Except that he doesn't.)

LOL, no, not really a friendly demeanor in general. I usually have a look to me that lets people think they mess with me they die. I just learned that you do get more accomplished if you say it in a very friendly, nonjudgmental way.
Sorry yours didn't go well. It might be the difference between sexes. I said something to the lady and not the men that were working there. Not to say all men or all women, but I do think one has a better chance of seeing change when approaching a female about the matter.