Happy To Be Joining The Tortoise Community!!

Kimberly Shumaker

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi!
I’m Kim. We recently welcomed a baby Redfoot into our family! We love him already. We are surprised daily at how much personality this little guy has!! I’ve appreciated and enjoyed reading posts in the forums. The pet store we purchased him from was somewhat helpful but I’ve gotten so much better info from all of you so far, so thank you! Very happy to have stumbled upon this site.
We’ve only had our little guy for a few days but we’re trying to get his home to be comfy and cozy for him. Right now I’m having trouble getting the humidity above 60% and the temperature is only around 75 degrees. I want to purchase a ceramic heat emitter. Any suggestions on brand/style/ placement in enclosure are welcomed. Also, in the forums I saw pros and cons to under tank heating contraptions. Someone said a coil is better than a pad? If I choose to use a pad and put a thinner towel between it and the bottom glass is that a better option? Someone had said that their bottom glass broke when water made contact with it. I certainly don’t want to do anything that could possibly endanger our little friend! Another question I have is the tank itself. I know most people on here suggest a Rubbermaid tub of some sort but right now we are using a glass tank due to the fact that we have cats and a dog in our home as well. (We definitely needed something with a lid.) The tank we’re using is tall rather than long and I thought that would be good for the lighting, etc. but we also have another tank that is the same amount of gallons but is more squat and longer. Which sounds better? And would the cooler end of a longer tank be too cool for the Tortoise? Sorry for so many questions but I don’t want him to get sick and I want to provide all the right things! Thanks in advance. [emoji217][emoji3]IMG_1512928470.890479.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kim!

The CHE (ceramic heat emitter) will provide enough heat so you won't need to have a heat mat or under tank heater. Also, because the sides are so high, the CHE needs to be under the lid, not over it. . . same with your light fixture. The light should be about 12" from the top of the tortoise's back. You're measuring the humidity and temperature halfway up the sides of the enclosure. You really want to know what it is down at tortoise level, not half way up. I would replace the blue bowls with a clay or plastic plant saucer for water (sunk down into the substrate) and a rough piece of cement or tile for feeding.

I think the longer tank would be better. You want more floor space, not high sides.

Kimberly Shumaker

Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Forum, Kim!

The CHE (ceramic heat emitter) will provide enough heat so you won't need to have a heat mat or under tank heater. Also, because the sides are so high, the CHE needs to be under the lid, not over it. . . same with your light fixture. The light should be about 12" from the top of the tortoise's back. You're measuring the humidity and temperature halfway up the sides of the enclosure. You really want to know what it is down at tortoise level, not half way up. I would replace the blue bowls with a clay or plastic plant saucer for water (sunk down into the substrate) and a rough piece of cement or tile for feeding.

I think the longer tank would be better. You want more floor space, not high sides.

Thank you so much for replying and for the information. I will correct the things you pointed out ASAP!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're welcome, Kim. As you familiarize yourself with the format here, and read different threads on your subject, you'll probably be making other adjustments too. We have a good care sheet at the Tortoise Library: http://tortoiselibrary.com/

Kimberly Shumaker

Pennsylvania
You're welcome, Kim. As you familiarize yourself with the format here, and read different threads on your subject, you'll probably be making other adjustments too. We have a good care sheet at the Tortoise Library: http://tortoiselibrary.com/

Thank you! I have certainly been doing a lot of reading on here and will definitely add your link to my list. [emoji846]

Kimberly Shumaker

Pennsylvania
Thank you! I have certainly been doing a lot of reading on here and will definitely add your link to my list. [emoji846]

We switched to the longer, squatter tank now...much better!!! The humidity is already at 70% and climbing! Looks like we have a happy little fella! Thank you so much for your help. Getting a CHE bulb as soon as possible too.IMG_1512936398.575532.jpg