Harmful Plants in Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmsnlawrence

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

I'm adopting a 5 year old male Leopard from a friend. I'm building an enclosure in the back yard now for him. I want to know if the following are poisonous to the tortiose.

Pomegranate Tree and Butterfly Bush. He will likely have access to fallen leaves from the pomegranate (fallen leaves in the fall) and direct access to live butterfly bush leaves. Attached are pictures of both along with a picture of the enclosure. Please note that I HAVE NOT FINISHED SETTING THE BLOCK IN THE ENCLOSURE YET. Also, the tomato plants in the enclosure are coming out. I also have not installed the nighttime enclosure yet.

We live in San Diego, California.

Thanks and I appreciate any help.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_9541.jpg
    IMG_9541.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9543_2.jpg
    IMG_9543_2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Buddleia (butterfly bush) is not toxic,and they probably won't try any of the leaves. I have several and the tortoises don't give it a second look. Pomegranate is also one they just ignore. I have one with fallen fruit all over the Manouria pen and they don't even look at the fruit.

Pen looks good for a grassland tortoise. Lots of sun and open space for exercise. And you were smart to add the visual barrier along the chain link side. If they can see through they'll spend all their time trying to get to the other side.

Yvonne

kmsnlawrence

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne for your response. I am putting a 2"x12" board along the chain link fence. The pen is more than 30 feet long. We are very excited to get the little guy and are trying to give him the best habitat that we can.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.