Harold likes hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I bought Harold a bale of orchard grass, and throw a pile in every morning, and mix his food all up in it. Gives him lots to do during the day. He smashes the pile and drags in everywhere. Here he is looking proudly over his kingdom
P2010178_zps138de7db.jpg

P2010179_zpsf0876a24.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Be carefull using it as bedding, it tends to mold when it gets damp.
Its great that he is eating it!!

EKLC

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Be carefull using it as bedding, it tends to mold when it gets damp.
Its great that he is eating it!!

Yea, I put it in on the drier side, and change it regularly. He is a big curious eater, so you gotta have something for him to pick at or he'll go for substrate here or there.

kathyth said:
He is a cutie pie!

Thanks! I think so too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have we played "Guess the sex" with "Harold" yet? I think it might be time. Nothing more than a hunch but Harold's head is looking a bit feminine in these pics. Do you know what temp he was incubated at? Can you post pics of the anal scutes and tail?

EKLC

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Have we played "Guess the sex" with "Harold" yet? I think it might be time. Nothing more than a hunch but Harold's head is looking a bit feminine in these pics. Do you know what temp he was incubated at? Can you post pics of the anal scutes and tail?

Haha, I'm glad you asked. We got Harold at 6 months, and she is now a year and 710g. No idea about the incubating, as Harold was a reptile shop tortoise, and sent to live with us by her owner for our outdoor facilities. We had a strong suspicion that Harold was a girl the first few months we had her, but we stuck with the conventional 'he' until further notice and out of habit. So it'll be good for you to take a look.

P2020183_zpsd4c98288.jpg

P2020184_zps0c34ebb4.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh... Just like my Tuck and Trey. Right in the middle. Too soon to tell. Some of them can be seen early on and others, I just can't tell. That tail is looking on the long side (male), but the proportion can change as Harold grows. Just too soon for me to call it. Let's try again in another 6 months.

Either way Harold looks to be in good health and that is excellent size and weight for a one year old. Nice job!

EKLC

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Ugh... Just like my Tuck and Trey. Right in the middle. Too soon to tell. Some of them can be seen early on and others, I just can't tell. That tail is looking on the long side (male), but the proportion can change as Harold grows. Just too soon for me to call it. Let's try again in another 6 months.

Either way Harold looks to be in good health and that is excellent size and weight for a one year old. Nice job!

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. We can't wait for outdoor season again. It's been such a tease, since many of the days are in the 70's, but the yard is shaded until late February

Status
Not open for further replies.