Has any problem to my young sulcata plastron

JW614

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hello everyone,

I found my baby sulcata plastron (about 7cm) is swelled, has any problem?

Thanks

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I found my baby sulcata plastron (about 7cm) is swelled, has any problem?

Thanks

View attachment 372439

View attachment 372440

View attachment 372441
No problem. That is totally normal.

Please read these threads for more info:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’ll tag some more experienced members that will hopefully be able to answer you @Yvonne G @Tom

In the meantime though if you could answer these questions that’d be great! Always helpful to know how new members are keeping their torts🙂

What size enclosure are you keeping him in?

What lights are you using specifically? What is your uv situation?
Your basking area temp? Ambient day temp? Night temp?

For the basking area he needs a incandescent floodlight(pic attached) avoid anything that says halogen or mercury vapour, it needs to be on a 12hour timer.

For uv you need a t5 fluorescent tube light, I’d personally recommend the Arcadia brand, it comes with a built in reflector fitting as to not waste any uv light, this needs to be on a separate 4hour timer from noonish mounted about 18-20 inches from the substrate. Also included a pic on how some people mount those.

Humidity for a hatchling like yours needs to be maintained around 80% 24/7, the best way to achieve this would be to use a greenhouse topper, some people make their own base, or use something like a flower bed base and line with pond liner, then securing the greenhouse on top, if you can’t find an exact fit for your base, place it like the one with the white base, I’d put some lining under the base and cover though to stop condensate getting on your floor.
You can even hang your lights from the frame! Just wrap the wire around to get the height you need(check with a temp gun for the height of your basking bulb, uv should be about 18-21 inches) and secure with cable ties.

What substrate is it you’re using? I’d personally recommend orchid bark, you want to aim for a damp bottom layer and a dryer top layer, to stop that top layer getting a little too dry though mix the substrate now n then which will also help boosting humidity. To maintain your humidity, pour lukewarm water into the corners of the substrate, not loads but enough to dampen the bottom layer, keep and eye on your monitors and substrate to do the pours as and when needed👍

Ignore whatever else is in the enclosures in the photos, they’re just to give an idea🙂

Try and upload a photo of your set up if you can! It’s so helpful for the members advising!

Attachments

• IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1628.png
    IMG_1628.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 1

JW614

Hong Kong
No problem. That is totally normal.

Please read these threads for more info:

Thank you!!!

Reading the threads now

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, the baby does NOT need his nails trimmed.