Has anybody else’s tortoises woken early this year?

charlygal123

Location (City and/or State)
Kent UK
Hi there!
So I’m from the south east in the uk and I’ve had my torts a good few years now and I’m in the swing as far as hibernation goes! Well I thought that I was. This year however my torts I have woken a little early , both of them. I have a marginated and a Greek. both woke up within a day of each other, last week. I went out to check on them and yes they are both awake. So i brought them in and got the heat lamps out! Currently there in a huge empty bookcase (well it’s not empty now obviously) in my spare bedroom! I don’t mind as such because it means I get to spend longer with them this year. I was just wondering if anybody else’s had arisen early? Or if perhaps it was just the temperature in my shed? I had a feeling it was going to be too warm for them when I checked the thermometer about two weeks ago! Both of the tortoises are fine they are eating going to the toilet and being themselves. So I’m more than a little relieved about that! I was just wondering if there’s anything I can do in the future to get the temperature more suitable for their hibernation. Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I saw a box turtle out and about the other day. This has been one of the mildest winters I can remember here in the Central Valley of California. We've only had a handful of night cold enough to leave frost on the ground in the morning, and the days are always at least 55F but mostly warmer.

If you can learn how to do refrigerator hibernation that's the way to go.

eb318

uk
I can only think the warm weather. I'm in the north east of the UK, and most days the temperature has been 8 or so C.

charlygal123

Kent UK
I saw a box turtle out and about the other day. This has been one of the mildest winters I can remember here in the Central Valley of California. We've only had a handful of night cold enough to leave frost on the ground in the morning, and the days are always at least 55F but mostly warmer.

If you can learn how to do refrigerator hibernation that's the way to go.

Yeah I just worry I’ll do it wrong! I’ve watched lots of videos and read up online about it but kinda worries me in case I mess it up if you know what I mean!

Mo & Bolt

Uk
image.jpeg Hello, I am also from Kent , Gillingham in fact. We had 75 on our patio the other week. I checked my torts, I have two elderly Greeks . Their hibernation boxes remained at 6-8 degrees. I didn't unpack them , I am going to do this in 2 weeks. I didn't put mine into hibernation till end of December . Like you they were in a large bookcase with heat lamps. They had lost weight over the summer because of fighting , so i kept them up until their Jackson score was high enough for hibernation . Anyway you was asking about keeping them asleep for longer. Have you thought about using the fridge method of hibernation . They say keeping them at constant temperature is a better way. Photo shows one of them kept domination the other and made them both off their food. ( read my post for the full story ) Gill

sophiebuhler

London
Yes our tortoises came out of hibernation few weeks early, we live in London
It's been a very warm early spring!

Mo & Bolt

Uk
Yes our tortoises came out of hibernation few weeks early, we live in London
It's been a very warm early spring!
It has since gone very cold after that warm blast. What have you done with them are they in the garden with access to heat lamp . Due to get mine out soon and a bit worried how to manage early spring cold bouts . Thanks

charlygal123

Kent UK
It has since gone very cold after that warm blast. What have you done with them are they in the garden with access to heat lamp . Due to get mine out soon and a bit worried how to manage early spring cold bouts . Thanks

Mine had to go back into my spare bedroom for a month or so. I still bring them in of a night

Heather G

Canterbury
Hi there!
So I’m from the south east in the uk and I’ve had my torts a good few years now and I’m in the swing as far as hibernation goes! Well I thought that I was. This year however my torts I have woken a little early , both of them. I have a marginated and a Greek. both woke up within a day of each other, last week. I went out to check on them and yes they are both awake. So i brought them in and got the heat lamps out! Currently there in a huge empty bookcase (well it’s not empty now obviously) in my spare bedroom! I don’t mind as such because it means I get to spend longer with them this year. I was just wondering if anybody else’s had arisen early? Or if perhaps it was just the temperature in my shed? I had a feeling it was going to be too warm for them when I checked the thermometer about two weeks ago! Both of the tortoises are fine they are eating going to the toilet and being themselves. So I’m more than a little relieved about that! I was just wondering if there’s anything I can do in the future to get the temperature more suitable for their hibernation. Thanks in advance!

Heather G

Canterbury
Hello so pleased to hear from you. We have two Herman's and they woke up this week. We are south east, near Canterbury. We are just caring for them as though it were March awakening but not putting them out of course till warmer