has anyone ever used naturalyards as the basis for an indoor tort pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
hi all!

crusing the web and found these kiln dried cedar raised bed forms. check them out:

http://www.naturalyards.com/raisedbeds/?gclid=CMD6_MKhxKICFSQ65QodAyHY6A

a few questions - has anyone used these as the basis for an indoor tort pen?? they look like they'd be perfect!

is kiln dried cedar with no chemical treatment an ok wood to use??? (i've read mixed things about pine but can't remember about cedar).

thanks for any advice/input :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
No matter what you use, there needs to be a waterproof barrier up to at least 6 inches or more to prevent water from seeping out onto your floor.

We'll ***/u/me that you'll be using solid 1/2" ply for the floor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cedar is a no go. Toxic fumes. That's why they line closets and chests with it. The fumes keep the moths away.

M

Maggie Cummings

I had a yearling Sulcata that was blinded and another that died from using a pine substrate. Everything I have read and I think it's a lot, always uses "pine and cedar" are bad for tortoises. So while I think those boxes are really beautiful, I personally wouldn't take the chance. They look dried and perfect, but if it makes your tortoise sick there's a chance it can die and I sure wouldn't take that chance...:p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Not safe for indoors, due to fume build-up, but the larger ones (4' X 8' X 16.5" and up) would be great for outdoor use (no ventilation issues) for European tortoises/box turtles/like sized animals!

A bit pricy, initially, but they'd last for many years and be easy to dissassemble/re-assemble (should you find the need to move)...all in all, a decent value for those who can't build their own enclosures.

Just sent an inquiry as to pricing on a 24' X 12' X 22" set-up.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I've been eyeing something similar, only they are raised up to table height. In the general way of things around here. I mentioned making one myself and hubby says he and his buddy will do it! I'm not trusted with power tools ;D I did not know about pine or cedar. What would the best wood to use be then?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would be ok with the cedar that is sealed well for an outdoor enclosure, but not indoor. I have an indoor pine board enclosure and feel comfortable with that. I'd never use it as a substrate though. I did enough research to gain a comfort level of the difference in the oils and fumes for a substrate vs. wood, and that cedar is worse than pine.

Oak or plywood are good choices.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoisenerd said:
Oak or plywood are good choices.

To me, it would depend on the plywood, as much for the glues used as for the wood, itself...for instance, "naval grade", while very water-proof, might have all kinds of chemical fumes issues that might harm torts...I know I can't use it around my canaries/other finches!

Oak, otoh, other than being VERY heavy to move and a bit more difficult to work, would seem ideal, for inside usage.

A buddy of mine converted a Honduras mahogany bookcase into a winterhome for his tortoise...looks very nice, but who can afford that much raw 'hog, let alone converting an antique, like he did? (pointed out to him, one day, that w/ what large pieces of Honduras 'hog go for these days, he could've sold that book case for enough to feed his pet in some pretty fancy chow for years! :p)

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
thanks all! the further i go there just seem to be few really good wood options for enclosures. i love my torts and boxies to death and only want to do right by them :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
You can also use "Poplar" wood as well. This doesn't have to be sealed for indoors. This is what I use. But if you are building an outdoor enclosure and it's sealed well, you shouldn't have any issues regardless of what you use.

I have used Pressure treated lumber for my outdoors (doesn't rot in rains) and it works great.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
So what I'm gleaning from this thread is that pine would be okay for the table. Not however as a substrate. So...If the table were to be constructed from pine, with a shower curtain stapled in as a liner. With coir/sand as a substrate, would that work out okay?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pugsandkids said:
So what I'm gleaning from this thread is that pine would be okay for the table. Not however as a substrate. So...If the table were to be constructed from pine, with a shower curtain stapled in as a liner. With coir/sand as a substrate, would that work out okay?

Perhaps seal it w/ something like Thompson's, and then let it air out completely (maybe a week out in the sun)...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use wood anymore for any tortoise enclosure because I keep everything so wet all the time now. Any container I use has to be able to hold water long term. For some species in some parts of the country things might need to be a little drier, but all of them are going to spill their water bowl and such.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would not worry about pine, most plywoods or fabricated boards, or other popular lumberyard options as building materials. Thousands of keepers use them and there are very few reports of problems.

Besides, you are going to line it or seal it anyway, right?

It is easy to get paranoid- shower curtains contain lots of plasticizers (the fumes) that can cause problems- with long term exposure in enclosed spaces. Plywood glues, finish oils, adhesive fumes, etc. We hear about all of this and feel kind of trapped.

Our 'out' is to use common sense (let things outfume or dry, don't close up a room so tightly that fumes build up, and be smart in selecting materials).

Status
Not open for further replies.