Has anyone experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstodd

5 Year Member
I have had my tortoise for almost a month now. When I first got him and for the first 2 and half weeks, he always relieved himself either while soaking or while eating. He never did it while I held him or any other time. Just over a week ago, I added soil to his enclosure (he was living on newspaper when I first got him). Since then, he has started relieving himself everywhere, multiple times a day.

Also, now when I pick him up he pees on me, but before he wouldn't do this and would even fall asleep on my lap.

Thoughts? I feel like now he is nervous, but does changing substrate really affect them that much?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
mstodd said:
Since then, he has started relieving himself everywhere, multiple times a day.

Also, now when I pick him up he pees on me, but before he wouldn't do this and would even fall asleep on my lap.

Thoughts? I feel like now he is nervous, but does changing substrate really affect them that much?

I haven't had either of my torts pee or poop on me (yet). But mine hardly ever go in their soaks anymore. Usually they just go wherever they please.

It could be the change in substrate, it could be that he is more comfortable in his enclosure so he relieves himself there instead of waiting for a soak.

As far as the peeing when you pick him up, it could be numerous things too. He could be slightly startled when you pick him up. Do you grab him quickly or slowly?

How often did you pick him up when you first got him, compared to now? If less, he could have gotten used to not being picked up as often and again, gets startled or wants to be put down. Make sure all 4 legs are on your hand, and not just hanging off.

mstodd

5 Year Member
Seiryu said:
I haven't had either of my torts pee or poop on me (yet). But mine hardly ever go in their soaks anymore. Usually they just go wherever they please.

It could be the change in substrate, it could be that he is more comfortable in his enclosure so he relieves himself there instead of waiting for a soak.

As far as the peeing when you pick him up, it could be numerous things too. He could be slightly startled when you pick him up. Do you grab him quickly or slowly?

How often did you pick him up when you first got him, compared to now? If less, he could have gotten used to not being picked up as often and again, gets startled or wants to be put down. Make sure all 4 legs are on your hand, and not just hanging off.

I pick him slowly and I always make sure he can see my hand before I touch him. He doesn't pee right when I lift him up, but after maybe 2 minutes.

I used to pick him up every day. After reading that they don't like being handled, I tried to not touch him as much. I didn't pick him up at all this week until today. You think he gets used to be handled then?

You're luck you haven't been peed on yet :p He pushes and it squirts everywhere, hahaha.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I've never gotten the impression that my tort really enjoys being handled. She loves spending time near us and she seems to enjoy interacting, she's always investigating whenever one of us is near or in her enclosure. Outside she follows me all over the place!

But "cuddling" and being handled doesn't seem to be something she enjoys. I think it stresses her out and so I try to minimize it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My own personal opinion, I don't think they like being handled, and maybe after not being handled he got used to just being a tortoises, and decided to think you might be something trying to eat him. Of course I only handle mine when I take them outside or I am checking them out, and mine did at the very beginning try to pee on me, tough he missed. I think that after awhile they get used to being handled, and they might get used to not being handled. Ok I will stop rambling now.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't think its the actual substrate. Possibly the slight stress of the enclosure change though. It is probably a good sign that he pees frequently on his own...unless its from stress (like handling), they only pee when they have replaced their reserves with fresh water. I would keep handling to a minimum especially at the beginning, but of course opinions vary (others think on the other end of the spectrum you should handle a tort frequently so they get used to you). As they get used to you, the bladder release should stop or cut back though. I too have had the reverting back to being scared of me for a bit, for whatever reason (ie. my tort was really comfortable with me, then wasn't for a couple weeks, then went back to being comfortable)...torts are weird like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.