Has anyone tried this grass for their torts?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
I'm looking for new and different foods for my leopard tort and Meps. Since I live in ohio(for now) i need some store bought foods for the winter months. I was looking in a farm store (TSC) snd saw this. Just add water to rehydrate and you have food. The issue I have is I don't know about the vegetable oil? perhaps @Tom or @yvonne could chime in? I know they've got/had leopards... thanks
IMG_20150331_123328.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never fed this, and I also don't know about the vegetable oil, but it seems okay to me. I think I would look for a plain dry cube that had nothing but regular chopped up grass hay in it.

You could try it for a while and let us all know how it goes.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have used grass hay pellets to feed my sulcata. Most of the time I mixed it with Mazuri. My tortoise never seemed to eat it otherwise. The brand that I used, and what the local feed store sells, can be found here: http://www.mountainsunrise.com/pellets.html It's the same pellets we feed to the horses we keep at the in-laws ranch.
The pellets seemed to take a long time to soak up enough water to become fully soft. Otherwise, there were hard pieces left and the tortoise did not like biting into them. Then, it just seemed like they were way to "wet" to feed. It was just a lot of work to get the right texture and moisture content to feed them to my tortoise. On the other hand, the pellets were easy to store, much easier than hay, and cost only slightly more.

Cubes may behave differently than pellets with respect to absorption. I would be interested to know if they become fully soft so the tortoise can "chew" them. Also, the pellets had such tiny, almost flake like, pieces. Perhaps the cubes have longer pieces that are much more like grass. I think that would be better for their digestive tract.