Has anyone used these

moorealanna1

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi i have a Russian tortoise and i wanna get him out of his tank soon has anyone used these types of enclosures bruno is in a 40 gallon (which I know now is too small) but these don’t seem much bigger if anyone has a suggestions that be great (he will be kept inside)

Attachments

• 79887251-C845-4526-A327-CDD5C46AB6AF.png
    79887251-C845-4526-A327-CDD5C46AB6AF.png
    342.2 KB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
They are to small. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with a proper size enclosure.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No, they are not good. They don't work at all if you need enclosed space, if you don't, the only "pro" I'll say to them is that they are not too hard to conjoin, so if you got like 6 of them, maybe you could habitrail-like work it into large enough enclosure. The one you have there I think has a wood bottom, the brand that is grey has a plastic bottom. I "inherited" one like you have there, and one grey one, from my guy's former owner. I conjoined them into a 2 x 6' space that I use as a temporary indoor box if my guy can't be outside.

Also, for that price of buying them you can build something better (or have it built). But if you get them for cheap/free....

Reactions: Tom

moorealanna1

PA
They are to small. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with a proper size enclosure.
t
Thats what i thought, i don’t have too much room to work with i was thinking about giving him a 75 gallon tank but i just feel bad keeping him in glass tanks so i may buy two of those and conjoin them

moorealanna1

PA
a okay
No, they are not good. They don't work at all if you need enclosed space, if you don't, the only "pro" I'll say to them is that they are not too hard to conjoin, so if you got like 6 of them, maybe you could habitrail-like work it into large enough enclosure. The one you have there I think has a wood bottom, the brand that is grey has a plastic bottom. I "inherited" one like you have there, and one grey one, from my guy's former owner. I conjoined them into a 2 x 6' space that I use as a temporary indoor box if my guy can't be outside.

Also, for that price of buying them you can build something better (or have it built). But if you get them for chea

Okay thanks, i don’t have a ton of room to work with but i will probably buy two of them for him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats what i thought, i don’t have too much room to work with i was thinking about giving him a 75 gallon tank but i just feel bad keeping him in glass tanks so i may buy two of those and conjoin them
There is nothing wrong with a glass tank IF it is large enough. Glass tanks are actually better for tortoises for all the reasons "they" say they are bad. Reduced ventilation keeps humidity and warmth up. Them being able to see out is not "stressful". It allows them to desensitize to us and become tame and acclimated to our human tendencies.

If you have an adult Russian they need a MINIMUM of 4x8 feet. A 75 gallon tank is way too small. Your tortoise doesn't care if you have room for a large enclosure or not. They need what they need. The time to realize you don't have enough room was before you got your tortoise. Now that you have a tortoise, you need to find or make the room that it needs. Its pretty easy to put some walls on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Home Depot will even cut the lumber for you. If you want to get really fancy, you can add some legs with wheels so you can move it around if needed. Some people make an "L" shaped enclosure that runs along two walls and a corner.

We will try to help if you need ideas.

moorealanna1

PA
There is nothing wrong with a glass tank IF it is large enough. Glass tanks are actually better for tortoises for all the reasons "they" say they are bad. Reduced ventilation keeps humidity and warmth up. Them being able to see out is not "stressful". It allows them to desensitize to us and become tame and acclimated to our human tendencies.

If you have an adult Russian they need a MINIMUM of 4x8 feet. A 75 gallon tank is way too small. Your tortoise doesn't care if you have room for a large enclosure or not. They need what they need. The time to realize you don't have enough room was before you got your tortoise. Now that you have a tortoise, you need to find or make the room that it needs. Its pretty easy to put some walls on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Home Depot will even cut the lumber for you. If you want to get really fancy, you can add some legs with wheels so you can move it around if needed. Some people make an "L" shaped enclosure that runs along two walls and a corner.

We will try to help if you need ideas.
1. He’s not an adult he’s very small about 4 inches
2. He was a gift from my parents after i came from the hospital and they didn’t know much so they took the pet stores advice and i don’t want to take him back to pet smart
3. obviously i’m trying my best to give him a big enough enclosure and right now 75 gallons is all i can fit in my space so unless you have something constructive and helpful to say then i will take advice from some other people. I do not have room or means rk create an enclosure myself from home depot
4. I took him to the vet and he’s healthy and happy and i will do my best to get him into a bigger space but until then unless you want me to take him back to pet smart where he was extremely dehydrated and not eating i’m going to take care of him

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Tom can come off as harsh, but he actually IS being constructive. You not having space for him doesn't mean that he doesn't need the space. You can try to get multiple layers and build up vertically, but you also can consider finding a home for him that can give him space. Its not a matter of "my available space or petsmart" a your only options. I see SO MANY Russian's on craigslist where people keep them in what they have, vs what they need, and its a pretty miserable life for them.

My Russian is also only about that size (5"), that doesn't mean he doesn't need the space.

It was a wonderful present from your parents, but they got you a creature that needs a certain amount of space and light and food to live healthily. Its up to you if you decide to give him the best life you can give him, or the best life he needs...

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
One last thought (as a new tort owner, only about six months), is that most people think Tortoises are easy pets - like a goldfish. They are NOT. In some ways, Fezzik is more a PITA than my dogs. It is very very easy to keep them badly, it is not easy to keep them in a way that isn't cruel to them - but they don't show the results of the treatment as quickly or obviously as other pets do.

TortoisesCarolina

North Carolina
My honest two cents is not to keep them indoors. I think it's so much easier to keep them outside. In a backyard, you usually have more space to mess around with. It's also better for them as a whole. Natural lighting s do wonders. Now granted, no idea what your situation is with your yard, but I do think outdoor living gives them their best life.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Lol the table takes up a lot of space in my living room. If you know about housing in Hawaii, it’s almost a condo 😆

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
1. He’s not an adult he’s very small about 4 inches
2. He was a gift from my parents after i came from the hospital and they didn’t know much so they took the pet stores advice and i don’t want to take him back to pet smart
3. obviously i’m trying my best to give him a big enough enclosure and right now 75 gallons is all i can fit in my space so unless you have something constructive and helpful to say then i will take advice from some other people. I do not have room or means rk create an enclosure myself from home depot
4. I took him to the vet and he’s healthy and happy and i will do my best to get him into a bigger space but until then unless you want me to take him back to pet smart where he was extremely dehydrated and not eating i’m going to take care of him
Hello my little Russian is about 20 years old and he's only a little 5"x 5". He was that size when I got him. I could tell he wasn't very old only 4 or 5 years. He hasn't grown larger but I can see he looks more mature. I think maybe some of them stay small. I'm surprised that a PetSmart sold you a 4" Tortoise. All the ones I've seen at PetSmart are about 5". But good luck and best wishes. And stick around.the forum. There's lots of great ideas and people here that want to help you.🤗