Hasn't pooped for over a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
I have not seen evidence that my 8 mo old sulcata, sheldon, has pooped in over a week. I recently switched his enclosure from a 12x18 plastic bin with aspen shavings to a 24x48 tortoise table with spagnum peat moss as his substrate. I have terra cota plant dish for a watering dish and another one for his food. When I first moved him over I was a little dehydrated. He soaked and drank from his dish. Since then I have been misting him 3-6 times a day and soaking him 2-3 times. He eats mostly spring mix, kind purchased in produce section of any grocery market. After his soaking and drinking he pooped white pasty stuff. Since then nothing. Is there something that could feed him that would loosen him up or something I can give him? I haven't seen him drink since that initial day, but will all of the misting and soaking I don't think that he is dehydrated. I'm a first time tortoise owner. This past weekend I feed him some hybiscus petals and leafs, clover, and a few grape leaves (trying to vary diet). Could this just be stress from moving enclosures? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2012-08-17 09.43.12.jpg
    2012-08-17 09.43.12.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2012-08-25 09.33.15.jpg
    2012-08-25 09.33.15.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 69

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do need to keep his diet varied and not just spring mix. Also, get him outside to graze in pesticide/fertilizer free weeds and grass if possible. He also could be eating his poop, they do that. If you haven't yet, read the threads at the bottom of my post. One great way to raise a healthy smooth sulcata. Check your temps and humidity levels. The threads will help you out with those also. If he is eating, he is probably pooping. Activity good? Also can try soaking him in something larger like a tub so he can walk around, moving sometimes gets the poop moving too.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
He walks around his enclosure some and when I take him outside he seems to be plenty active. I have recently purchased some sulcata feed seed that I'm going to plant tonight and when it gets mature I'm planning on putting it in his enclosure so he can graze as he wants. Does it matter on the temp of the water I soak him in? Does warm water help better or is room temperature good enough?

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
BrianA123 said:
I have not seen evidence that my 8 mo old sulcata, sheldon, has pooped in over a week. I recently switched his enclosure from a 12x18 plastic bin with aspen shavings to a 24x48 tortoise table with spagnum peat moss as his substrate. I have terra cota plant dish for a watering dish and another one for his food. When I first moved him over I was a little dehydrated. He soaked and drank from his dish. Since then I have been misting him 3-6 times a day and soaking him 2-3 times. He eats mostly spring mix, kind purchased in produce section of any grocery market. After his soaking and drinking he pooped white pasty stuff. Since then nothing. Is there something that could feed him that would loosen him up or something I can give him? I haven't seen him drink since that initial day, but will all of the misting and soaking I don't think that he is dehydrated. I'm a first time tortoise owner. This past weekend I feed him some hybiscus petals and leafs, clover, and a few grape leaves (trying to vary diet). Could this just be stress from moving enclosures? Any ideas?
from what ive been reading on the forums, he could be stressed out from the move, or impacted, im not so sure you should be soaking him 2-3 times a day, if he is eating he may not be impacted, or stressed out. Im only going off what i read on here, im not a vet or expert, so i would say if you feel something is up, take him to the vet, and he could be hiding his poops from you, My tort Remi does that, ill see her digging them up( she acts like shes so starved) Have you had him outside at all where he could get into anything like rocks?

remitort071312 said:
BrianA123 said:
from what ive been reading on the forums, he could be stressed out from the move, or impacted, im not so sure you should be soaking him 2-3 times a day, if he is eating he may not be impacted, or stressed out. Im only going off what i read on here, im not a vet or expert, so i would say if you feel something is up, take him to the vet, and he could be hiding his poops from you, My tort Remi does that, ill see her digging them up( she acts like shes so starved) Have you had him outside at all where he could get into anything like rocks?
Also if you take him to the vet and they find out that he is impacted they can give him something to help move the blockage. what is his behavior like?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just to clarify, soaking 2-3 times is fine. Especially for a baby sulcata. Two times is probably more the norm.they can get a little stressed from a shipping but not usually so much over just a new enclosure. I find most on the forum seem to enjoy exploring the new surroundings, my leopards does. Is he eating, moving, exploring at all? What are his temps, all four of them? Humidity? They don't poop every day. Every 2 to 3 days seems to be the norm for hatchlings.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, sometimes a change of enclosure can certainly affect their attitude and confidence....so there may be some adjustment time here.

Not handling big business for a week? Well, a baby can poo and you not necessarily see it....or there is the lovely eating of their poo (ew) and then there is the chance that your tort has been munching the yummy soil substrate....is the peat moss the finely processed soil type or that stringy stuff?

It certainly would not hurt your tort to be soaked a couple times a day and make sure the water is warm and remains that way the entire time...and as mentioned, motion is a good aid in clearing the poop shoot....if your tort is acting like all is good in the eating, basking, exercising category then I would not be tooooo worried just yet...:D

holliewould

5 Year Member
I just acquired 3 torts a week ago and their environment has changed drastically. The smaller ones are a bit sluggish but the big one is all over the place. Only today did I see one drop a load and am thinking it was the big environment change. So I hope anyway. Today all are seperated in their own enclosures for the first time in years so I hope that will help normalize them. How often are they supposed to defecate? When is it time to worry?

BrianA123

5 Year Member
ascott said:
there is the lovely eating of their poo (ew) and then there is the chance that your tort has been munching the yummy soil substrate....is the peat moss the finely processed soil type or that stringy stuff?

It certainly would not hurt your tort to be soaked a couple times a day and make sure the water is warm and remains that way the entire time...and as mentioned, motion is a good aid in clearing the poop shoot....if your tort is acting like all is good in the eating, basking, exercising category then I would not be tooooo worried just yet...:D

The peat moss is finely processed. Should I change the substrate to something bigger? He seems to be eating fine. He moves more when we take him outside in the sun for a little while, but he does walk around his enclosure. I soaked him in some warm water where he could walk around some. He passes some white stuff, about the size of a pea. I'm going to keep doing this an hopefully everything turns out fine.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The peat moss is finely processed.

No, this is good.

Should I change the substrate to something bigger?

No, that may create an impaction issue when not necessary.

He seems to be eating fine. He moves more when we take him outside in the sun for a little while, but he does walk around his enclosure.

Eating fine is a good thing, and it is normal for them to spunk up a bit when outdoors, so that is good. Walking around his enclosure, check--good..:D

I soaked him in some warm water where he could walk around some. He passes some white stuff, about the size of a pea.

Continue at least a daily soak. White stuff, likely urates--so continue to soak daily as well as when you offer food to him I would spray the food and get it wet which will also increase his water intake when he eats...

I'm going to keep doing this an hopefully everything turns out fine.

I agree, I think that this is a good thing to continue and it does not sound like from what you have outlined here to be anything weird to worry about....:D

BrianA123

5 Year Member
I'm glad to hear. I got a little nervous when I hadn't seen anything for quite a while then I read a recent post about another tortoise being impacted. Thanks for your advice.

BrianA123

5 Year Member
Just a quick update. I've been soaking him more and trying to vary his diet. I have been noticing more poo and pee. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.