Hatchling desert tortoises and UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
I have a uvb dome light nd it eill be In the middle of the cage I have a under gravel heating mat and a hide for it to hide. What do I need to know about the lighting?

please and thank you

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Hatchling desert tortoises and UVB

New Desert Tortoise Mommy said:
I have a uvb dome light nd it eill be In the middle of the cage I have a under gravel heating mat and a hide for it to hide. What do I need to know about the lighting?

please and thank you

When you say UVB dome light, does this mean the bulb is a compact, coil or CFL type bulb housed in a dome fixture? If so, I'd encourage you to reconsider and replace it for a tube style UV light. Coil UV bulbs have a bad reputation for causing eye problems.

Under gravel heat mat you say? This won'twork for your little torts. They need heat coming from overhead. A dome fixture housing a regular 65 way or 75 watt house bulb can do the trick. Hang the fixture at a height that gives you a basking spot of 95F or so.

Does this help you with understanding lighting?

Hides are good.

What are you using for substrate?

Sent from my TFOapp

5 Year Member
I kind of understand can you either give me sites to buy them ? Or pictures to see what you mean with the lighting? And im using rabbit pellets for the mean time.

please and thank you

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Ditch the pellets, too. They are no good. You can buy a bag of plain top soil for $2 at Home Depot or any garden center. Dirt is the way to go!

I'll try and get some pics for you tomorrow...I'm going to bed right now ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

5 Year Member
Okay haha sounds good thank you I get them tomorrow so ill send a picture of the light im using since im on a budget.

please and thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.