Hatchling Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
So for about a month now I have been thinking of the possibility of getting another tortoise. More recently I have been thinking of getting a hatchling because I want to watch it grow. I was thinking of a redfoot of course but I have also been pondering the possibility to maybe get a leopard tortoise. I really am at a lost. Can someone snap me out of this fever??? :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hard to snap that fever out of someone. You are smart and will make the right choice.

Tortoise-Luke

5 Year Member
well i would take advantage of redfoots being on the more social side and get a friend for your current one. plus they could use the same enclosure.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
There's no snapping out of this! If you have the room for a second enclosure I'd say go with a leo, I'm sure there are plenty of well started hatchlings floating around on the forum right now!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think once you decide to get more than one, the chance that you will end up with a large amount of torts is pretty likely, so thats another thing to consider (the just one more syndrome). We've decided our little guy will be an only child until the possible day where we have the climate & land to take in a Sulcata. Its great to spoil him, and we're just not ready to have enclosures all over the house (or dedicate a room to them).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My biggest question is - have you worked it out with your parents as far as possible vet visits, medications, etc? If you have, then I would say go for it. If not, I would wait a bit longer.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry hatchling fever is contagious and non curable, as long as your parents are cool with it, and you feel fine with it I personally would go with a leo.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Its hard to say which is a better choice... both will be great and pretty to watch grow up. However since you already have a redfoot getting another one of the same species will be easier since you don't really have to change anything except maybe add more food/hides. With the leopard you'll have to build another enclosure/outdoor pen and provide it with it's own individual care so as long as you are cool with that it'll work out. Heck all I had planned was 2 greeks and a few months later I ended up with 3 leopards over a few months! I personally find it not hard to care for both of mine with their own separate enclosures and feeding needs. So its really up to ya, just plan long since well they live forever !
Also from what I've seen and such, redfoots do very well in a community so... in the future if you ever get more =p it'll be neat and fun. Although so do leopards hehehe... decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.